Do I need a chamber kit to properly lower my civic?

J.Higgins

What's up guys, I am getting ready to install new coilover kit on my 96 hatchback. I want to lower the car but I want it done right the first time. I have heard people say you need chamber kits and I've heard you can do without a chamber kit but need to get the toe adjusted. I do not want any issues or problems down the road. Im also doing my motor over the winter so I want a good suspension set up. Any tips or suggestions?

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
do you mean camber?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you don't need a CAMBER kit, not chamber, to lower your car. Improper toe alignment is the MAJOR cause of tire wear after lowering a car. Negative camber from lowering a car can cause uneven tire wear, so using a camber kit when you get the car aligned can help to maximize tire life. It is not necessary but it is beneficial.

pantyraid

=^.^=
Just to preface this, I am NOT an expert or professional in any sense of the word, so my opinion is probably not quite as valid as other much more intelligent people who frequent this forum, but I figured I'd put my two cents in anyway since that's what the internet is here for

I saw somebody the other day with a lowered civic with no camber kit, their tires were facing out diagonally at like a 45 degree angle, and it made me wonder how much money they burn through on new tires every month

So yeah, clearly it can be done, but I wouldn't do it

Also if you try to sell it lowered without a kit it might be a little trickier than if you had either left it alone or used the camber kit, I passed up a couple otherwise fair looking civics (fair looking just based on pictures and sellers description, I didn't even bother to check any of them out in person) because the seller lowered them without the kit and it just made me wonder what other things they half-assed on it

Good luck with your endeavor!

<3

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tires "facing out diagonally at a 45 degree angle" don't scrub tires, bad toe alignment does. All it will do is wear the inside edge before the rest because that edge is what is contacting the road. Please read the link post above you.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never used a camber kit. Never had an issue other than obvious inside tire wear. A camber kit would correct this issue, but you'd still need to have it properly aligned.

There's a lot of misconception about this, especially when going to a shop. With lowered vehicles shops may turn you down, saying that your camber is too negative, and they can't get you within spec. While this may be true, they can still adjust toe.