Do I need a tune?

JohnKal

Hello, I have a 95 civic that im currently in the process of swapping. I have a poormans type r i am putting into the car. {B16 headB18 block, IDK if there are different versions of a poormans so}

The motor is all stock. I am adding a cheap turbo kit to the car and some injectors.
So its 100 percent stock other than turbo kit and 750 RC injectors.

I have Hondata s300 v3. I have a local dyno that charges $500 to tune.

my question is do i have to get it tuned to drive or is there something i can download so i can drive the car around?

I am going to be fully building the car just not at the moment. im working on gathering parts little by little. If anyone has any help would be great , thank you

JohnKal

I appreciate the reply. I figured id ask, I dont play with Hondas lol i build classics with big blocks. I just wasnt sure if there was a sort of standard tune to download and throw on untill i finish the complete build.
Id hate to spend $500 to tune then finish build and another $500 to tune again.

Yep

Spend lots of time using the Google search function. Don't under think a turbo project.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The tune is the most important part of adding forced induction to a Honda motor. If you cheap out on the turbo kit (also not advised; cheap chinese turbo's with oil problems and stainless steel manifold that will break), definitely don't cheap out on the tuning!

JohnKal

I definitely understand that, 100 percent. I had the kit laying the garage so i decided to throw it on during my swap.
I just wanted to add alil kick until I do my build.

Im putting the cheap kit on for the exact reason not to go cheap if that makes sense. I wanna give my self time to do what i have to do the correct way.
Thanks for the info i will def be getting her tuned then.

The tune is the most important part of adding forced induction to a Honda motor. If you cheap out on the turbo kit (also not advised; cheap chinese turbo's with oil problems and stainless steel manifold that will break), definitely don't cheap out on the tuning!

JohnKal

I got ya and i would never inform anyone to proceed the way I am but i am an impatient bastard. Im near 50 percent of what i need for the finished build. I have high goals for it so im taking the time and preparation.
I fully understand the information and skill to do the swap no research needed there it was just about the tune.
When i tuned my skylark I was able to download a preset tune from the manufac to drive car to be tuned. So i fingered i see if they offered something similar for the Honda. Again thank you for all the information. I guess she will be getting tuned twice.

Research will inform you not to proceed this^ way. The logical order of events is to complete the build and then tune, not the reverse. Make sense?

On the internet, there's an enormous amount of information about the turbo build you're planning. Read until you're exhausted. When rested, resume research. Repeat frequently.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I got ya and i would never inform anyone to proceed the way I am but i am an impatient bastard. Im near 50 percent of what i need for the finished build. I have high goals for it so im taking the time and preparation.
I fully understand the information and skill to do the swap no research needed there it was just about the tune.
When i tuned my skylark I was able to download a preset tune from the manufac to drive car to be tuned. So i fingered i see if they offered something similar for the Honda. Again thank you for all the information. I guess she will be getting tuned twice.
Those two bolded statements contradict though, haha. I would ignore the cheap turbo kit, and wait until you get parts of good quality. This will save you money in the long run. Less tuning, less work, and less chance of breaking things if/when the Chinese parts fail. A boost spike due to junk parts could ruin your motor entirely.