Does the CX hatchback have less sound deadening material than the other hatches?

hondafan2

5+ Year Member
I was told that the CX hatchbacks have less sound deadening in the panels and interior compared to the other hatches of the same year. Part of the steps taken to make the car less expensive. As a result, the CX is the loudest of the hatches as far as engine and road noise. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Are there any other differences in the actual construction of the CX compared to the other trims?

zzzpoohzzz

quitter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i may be wrong, sorry if i am....

but i wouldn't be suprised.... from what i've gathered cx's are really stripped down versions of a civic, so i guess that it would make sense....

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
from what ive seen on other hatches nothing in the interior would be less, ive had mine stripped down to the bare floor and there is some sound deadening s**t in there as well as on the bottom, but i wouldnt doubt if it was skimped some. i currently have no rear seats basically stripped and its loud lol. but still i love my cx with no ac and no power lol

catsman72

5+ Year Member
how come everyones cx dose not have ac. because mine dose. sorry to get off topic. the cx i think is the same as any hatch the same year.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my cx does have ac....its because someone put it in..

u can get options installed...mine came from a junkyard

catsman72

5+ Year Member
TippinOver said:
my cx does have ac....its because someone put it in..

u can get options installed...mine came from a junkyard
but i bought mine like it.but i bought it with 70000 miles on it.

92CivicCX

5+ Year Member
hondafan2 said:
I was told that the CX hatchbacks have less sound deadening in the panels and interior compared to the other hatches of the same year. Part of the steps taken to make the car less expensive. As a result, the CX is the loudest of the hatches as far as engine and road noise. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Are there any other differences in the actual construction of the CX compared to the other trims?
I think you may be right about the lack of sound deadening. I'm not sure how much sound deadening material is in other Civics, but I'm guessing the VX doesn't have any more than the CX, because of the weight. I figured they were trying to make these two models light for economy reasons. I guess that went for lower construction costs for Honda and lower fuel costs for the consumer. I'm still getting over 40 mpg on every tank, so I guess it works for that part. My 92 CX is pretty loud at highway speeds. I've kinda been looking at different sound deadening materials, because I drive about 600-700 miles for work every week, and it's kinda getting old. I know that will add some weight to my car that's slow enough already, but it'll make driving so much a little more tolerable. Still love the CX though. If anyone has any experience with different materials and has an opinion to share, let me know. Oh, and mine had A/C when I got it five years ago (not the most effective in the mid-afternoon Houston heat, but it's A/C), and if it's not OE, then someone did a really good job making it look like it was.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cx came w/o airbags, second mirror, some had no tape player a/c was easily added at the dealer, it was not standard. the sound deadner was also much less. if you think that the motor of a cx is loud go get a hybrid. there are more things a cx did not have if you really wnat to know tell me. but nothing as far as the construction of the car.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buzzbombtom said:
cx came w/o airbags, second mirror, some had no tape player a/c was easily added at the dealer, it was not standard. the sound deadner was also much less. if you think that the motor of a cx is loud go get a hybrid. there are more things a cx did not have if you really wnat to know tell me. but nothing as far as the construction of the car.
I beleive the no second mirror is only on the 5th gen, I think it became a standard on obd2 cars.

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buzzbombtom said:
no airbags?? i duno about that one. early years, 92-93 didnt have passenger airbags but i duno the exact cutoff. but everyone ive seen had drivers airbag, and 94-95 have the passenger airbag.
mine also has 2 mirrors, but no AC

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ I agree, I think passenger airbags were standard, mine has one as well as every other CX that I have seen. I was very lucky in that I found one cheap as hell with the optional side mirror and AC from the factory, plus it came with 2 low milage motors. :D

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
*The CX and VX have a 10-gallon tank, while the DX and Si have the 11.9-gallon tank.
*Si and Dx have more tar for increased quietness in cabin.
*CX has no rear wiper
*Si came with rear disc brakes, while DX, VX, CX came with rear drums.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
buzzbombtom said:
mine had air bags too...lol

When i blew my cx motor i sold it. The guy i sold it( the engine) to told me i had a y8 block with the 16 valve pistons.
I never cleaned that engine cause it was a ,what i thought a b7block.
I sold it for 40 bucks...lol

oh well :roll: :lol:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As far as the A/C is concerned, it depends on which market it was originally designated for. DXes and CXes almost always have A/C here because a new car dealer won't be able to sell a car without A/C.

And the sound deadner? No Civic or Integra from the 90's has enough. Don't feel slighted. My EH9 was rather noisy compared to a G20

hondafan2

5+ Year Member
kyle10182 said:
*The CX and VX have a 10-gallon tank, while the DX and Si have the 11.9-gallon tank.
*Si and Dx have more tar for increased quietness in cabin.
*CX has no rear wiper
*Si came with rear disc brakes, while DX, VX, CX came with rear drums.
so the difference as far as sound deadening between the cx and dx hatches is just the added tar?? i thought the dx had sound deadening in the door panels and interior floor which was not included in the cx? can anyone confirm this?