Drove car through some nasty puddles... need advice

Tamerin

First, I searched the forum and everyone seemed to have issues where the car stalled or had noises, and well a tone of other things.

Just wanted to put my situation forward, and see if I should still do the Spark Plug pull, Oil Change, Crank of the Engine, and Compression check.

Driving home after work, went down a normal back road that normally doesn't flood. Unfortunately, I went over a hill and right afterwards was a nasty puddle. I was able to drop down to at least 20 mph, and coasted through with no further push on the engine. Afterwards, I noticed the Oil light sort of flickered for a like 10-15 minutes afterwards when I pressed on the gas. Went to a friends house and let the car run to kinda air our my CAI filter.

On the way home, was going down the highway when I hit a damn puddle I couldn't see at about 40 MPH. Hit on the passenger side thankfully, however afterwards the Oil Light lite up like a Christmas Tree. Since the highway was 60 MPH, the light immediately went out and didn't come on at all.

I drove around for another hour, and no noises, or differences in how my car accelerated nor power. Getting the oil changed this weekend anyways. Just wanted to know if I really should do the other steps, or it's not really needed?

PS: Isn't there a filter or cover I can put on my CAI filter that prevents or limits the chances of water being sucked up? Can't find it... unless I am just blind and don't know what I am looking for.

Tamerin

Hmm, aight. Unfortunately, I can't do any of this crap myself due to living in an apartment with an HoA. So I was hoping it wasn't needed. Guess I will just have the shop do that for me as well.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Do you know if that thing actually works? My CAI goes straight down to the ground, but it's still within the Engine Bay and doesn't stick out. Just wondering if it's even worth purchasing? Wonder if that fits my Injen filter.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You dont have to, it just doesn't hurt to do it. Idk if they work or not lol I have an aem CAI and it goes down by the bumper and I haven't had any problems with it sucking water so you should be fine without it.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I had a similar issues with my last b20, the light would flicker on and off, turns out the sending unit was loose, perhaps the water is just knocking around the wire and making the light go off. You said when you hit the soft puddle it flickers but flashed hard when you jesus lizard'd that puddle on the highway. I would check if the oil pressure sending unit is loose or the plug is loose.

What you are looking for on your CAI is a bypass valve/filter, when your regular filter is submerged or blocked air will be drawn through it rather than your regular filter sucking up air

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cai+bypass+filter&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=235l4641l0l7125l7l7l0l0l0l0l359l1279l2.2.2.1l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=651&wrapid=tlif131857139487510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

^thats what youre looking for

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont think it'd be possible for him to use a bypass valve since he's k series and if he's running an intake made for a sort of oem set up in the bay he's only got one piping with the filter pushed back/under towards the firewall. OP post a picture of your bay because your intake might not even be the problem, but yes check for lose wires as stated above

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
there are several injen intakes for k20s, there seems to be one that takes it down into another location other than just back towards the firewall. Either way a bay pic will help out alot.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Yea, I don't think your oil light had anything to do with potential hydrolock. If she drank water you would've known it. It may be as simple as a sensor or other electrical connection being adversely affected by contact with water.

Tamerin

Let me know if that's good enough, cause if not I can attempt to take a picture closer to where the Intake is. I checked, and I don't even see the filter from the Driver Wheel Well. Picking up a floor jack this weekend, so maybe I'll jack it up and try to get some under pics. For now, let me know if that's good or not.

Not quite sure either. That's what I thought, didn't know why my Oil light came on when I drove through the water. It was only the Oil Light too, nothing else. I checked, and didn't even see any water around my Valve Cover when I pulled over after driving through. I'll take a look to see if any connections got wet or something.

Thanks for the advice and stuff.

Tamerin

Edited, sorry stupid link wasn't working. Added the picture to the thread instead.

Thanks again.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seeing the intake routes that way, still there is very small chance of water getting into the motor. I don't think it's the problem you have to worry about.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
its not the connection being wet its checking if its loose, not sure where the sending unit is on a K, google it and track it down

by the looks of it I think you would REALLY have to pull some james bond type dive in your car to suck up any amount of water

not sure how that supercharger will like compressing water lol

Tamerin

lol, yeah doubt it.

Question, and it was probrablly the belts. When I went through the water the second time, I coasted for a little and then began to drive off again. Well it made this ear piercing sound, like from my Supercharger pulley. Squealed for a bit, but then stopped afterwards. Is this because my belt is either loose or too tight? I mean it chirps in the morning until the car warms up, so I am guessing the belt is too tight. Hell it's brand new, was replaced by the dealer.

All I gotta say, this just put my mind at peace. Never had a S/C & a CAI, so I was hoping I didn't get too much water in that thing. I might still put a Blow Off Valve & Injen Water Guard on the Intake, just for double protection. Virginia is notorious for just flooding when it pours here, all these hills around my job and house and stuff.