Duplicolor engine primer

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
I put 2 light coats and then a good strong coat on. I was called and had to go run a errand and was gone for a few hours.

On the can it says recoat within one hour or wait 7 days to cure.

it's been about 2 days drying. Do I really have to wait 7 days to topcoat? It's going on the heatshield over the stock headers.

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I put 2 light coats and then a good strong coat on. I was called and had to go run a errand and was gone for a few hours.

On the can it says recoat within one hour or wait 7 days to cure.

it's been about 2 days drying. Do I really have to wait 7 days to topcoat? It's going on the heatshield over the stock headers.

I say as long as its completely dry spray another coat. How hot is it in TX?

simpsonbuck3436

Efficiency Junkie
5+ Year Member
One more question.

I have a can of duplicolor black semi-gloss engine enamel(rated at 500f) sitting around.

I was wanting to paint my front calipesr black. To my understanding from reading other post.

1. Take off wheel and spray caliper with simple green diluted properly.

2. Scrub with toothbrush like hell.

3. Mask off everything you do not want to get paint on.

4. Spray 3 light coats of paint in 15 minute intervals.

5. Hit it with one coat of engine enamel clear coat.

6. am I right?

I'm just worried about the paint damaging my brake pads.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its way easier to paint calipers if you take them off the rotors. you dont have to disconnect the lines and all, just pull them off the rotors, take out the mounting brackets and hang the calipers on some wire or something. and a toothbrush probably wont do the job. I had to use one of those heavy duty gigantic wire brushes. if you dont get absolutely all the brake dust off it will bleed through, make your paint look like crap and chip off. as for the paint, sounds to me like that engine enamel stuff would work well, but i cant vouch for it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I wanted to paint my calipers, but figured it might look tacky with rear drums. I figured Id wait until / if I do my rear disc swap. Post pics on how it comes out, and good luck :thumbs up: