E Brake Install

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does anyone know how to remove the stock E Brake Handle? I just picked up a MOMO handle and would like to install it on my 98 Civic Coupe. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All you've got to do is slide it off. The thing is on there extremely snug though. You'll probably have to pry at it & push it with whatever you can for a while before it starts to slide off. I haven't found anything that works other than brute force. Good luck

Ken

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully all goes well and I'll have some pics once all is said and done.

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That thing is on there pretty good just like you said. Still hasn't come off yet. It would have been nice if Honda made it as easy to replace that as they did with everything else.

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try sawing it off! but if you plan on keeping the stock E-brake handle, try pulling harder.

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good call Myogi. If you dont' plan on saving it just cut it down the center with a Dremel tool or something like that. It'll definately make the process go a lot easier.

Ken

Special K

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The easiest way to get it off (in my opinion) is to get some penetrating lubricant (insert you own joke here) Namely gunk or something that'll loosen rusted parts (WD40 would probably work too... Spray that stuff into the gaps at the top of the ebrake where the button is, and just wrench the handle from left to right while pulling forward... this took me literally 2 minutes.

If anyone has any tips on installing a Momo brake handle on a 97 civic could you post? The handle goes too far back on the shaft, and I can't put it down all the way.

kgbhx44

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had mine on for a while now and even though the E-Brake itself doesn't sit as low as the stock one, it is low enough to properly disengage the e-brake cables. The ebrake light doesnt stay on either so it is low enough. I just put in my MOMO leather E-Brake boot to complete the shift knob and MOMO shift boot set, looks very nice together.