EJ8 B18 swap no spark issue

enjoious

Hey all. I bought an EJ with a partial swap (B18b with GSR trans) a month ago or so and finished up the harness about a week ago now. I expected issues, but this hunt is driving me crazy.

Let me preface by saying I have no prior experience with these cars, so bare with me if its a simple oversight.

Upon finishing the harness work and turning the key the engine cranks healthily, but won’t start. I have the tank out of it so it’s being fed fuel by a funnel and hose, but I’m not getting any spark across all 4 cylinders. Brand new plugs (gapped) and the wires are good. I probed all of the inputs for the distributor (OBD1) and they all get voltage. I pulled the dizzy apart and checked resistance across the sensors (cyp, ckp, and tdc) and they’re all good, as well as the ICM. The dizzy has a new ignition coil and cap and the rotor seems fine. I have the clutch sensor jumped so the lockout shouldn’t engage. I also checked the under-hood fuse panel and 40a ignition fuse both of which are fine.

I’m going to start by asking if it could be the PGM FI Relay (fuel relay). The car doesn’t have one in it currently, but I don’t know if and wouldn’t think it has anything to do with the signal for ignition.

Does anything else come to mind?

Thanks in advance.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You are going to need a wiring diagram, you can get the service manual off my website for free =)

Im off to bed but I man look into the diagrams myself tomorrow.

Last edited:

enjoious

You are going to need a wiring diagram, you can get the service manual off my website for free =)
I already own and have studied the Haynes manual diagrams for both the B18 and the EJ harnesses. Quite a few connectors had to be rewired due to being crushed and the harness side of the distributor connector had to be changed due to it being OBD1. I also wanted to identify any connectors not being used just to avoid confusion and so everything is labeled. I verified all of my wiring by testing continuity between the P75 ECU and the engine side of the connectors.

All of the fuses under hood and under dash are good too. What am I missing?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ill have to look at the diagram myself and Ill get back to you sometime tomorrow. Late here. :thumbup:

In the meantime, lets see some photos of this project.