ek steering wheel issues

bofthe951

Mkay so I posted a couple months ago about my cruise control and horn going out on my 99 LX 4DR. I talked to a dude who knows a little bit about civics and he says that the cruise control unit on the wheel is probably shorted out and the horn is wired to that. He said I should just swap out the steering wheel since mine is torn up anyways.Not sure what direction to go, or all the parts I will need. I'd prefer oem (weather acura, s2000, or just any honda wheel), but I guess ebay would be okay as along as I'm getting exactly what I need and doesn't have NOS button(no nos, no need). Never swapped a steering wheel so this will be an adventure. But I need a horn, cruise would be cool but not going way out of my way to do so. Thanks for reading, hope someone can help. =)

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
I thought your CC was run through the speedometer? i never head of it being connected to the wheel or the horn. but i guess i could be wrong.

your CC you could mount anywhere in your car. all you need is either 2 momentary switches, or a 3 way on/off/on momentary rocker switch. then you can mount it in your arm rest or somewhere else on your dash.

bofthe951

I really like that idea, a lot. I'm gunna run to autozone and buy a new switch on my day off and wire this up. But would I then just have to rewire the horn so it had a direct wire? Or would I just be better off getting an aftermarket/ oem wheel with horn? I could care less about the CC, just want my horn back at this point. I am 100% sure that the horn works because I wired it to the alarm and still beeps when I unlock it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cruise and horn are both ran through the clocking spring. It is possible that it is shot or not "clocked" right.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are arrows on it to show you which way it needs to go on to be "clocked" right. If it is on correctly and still isn't working than it is probably shot. Pretty common for them to go out from my experience. They don't seem to like to be removed.

Here is decent info for putting one back in correctly:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1819033

bofthe951

Hmmmm.... well s***. Took the whole steering wheel apart. Got to the point where the whole airbag was out and couldn't figure out what part was the clock spring. This is exactly what mine looked like. Ran out of daylight so had to throw it back together. But I'd do it again. Just not sure what to take off to check.

bofthe951

Hmmm so thinking about it. When I turn into a parking spot there is kinda too much turning and it kinda slams when it gets to a point. I think that the clock spring might just be shot hence why my srs light is on, no cruise, no horn. I just might need to get a used one and put it on. Is replacing it super difficult?

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
Hmmm so thinking about it. When I turn into a parking spot there is kinda too much turning and it kinda slams when it gets to a point. I think that the clock spring might just be shot hence why my srs light is on, no cruise, no horn. I just might need to get a used one and put it on. Is replacing it super difficult?
see those black things coming out on either side of the center nut(which you have to remove to get to the clock spring) yeah thats the clock spring. its as simple to replace as taking off that nut, poping off the wheel, unscrewing the 4 screws holding the clock spring in, and putting the new clock spring in.

on the top of the clock spring(well the part that rotates anyways, there is an arrow that says, this way up, take your car to a parking lot and turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, then count how many rotations it takes to get straight. then take your new clock spring, and turn it all the way to the left or right, and when it stops, go back the number of rotations. there ya go.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Clocking spring is under the steering wheel, not under the airbag.