Electrical issues - brake lights, cruise control, and radiator fan

Cheapshot

5+ Year Member
I hope someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with my car. It is a 98 Honda Civic EX and recently the outer left/right brake lights have stopped working. The other day I noticed that my cruise control no longer turns on, and today the radiator fan failed to come on while sitting in traffic and the motor started to overheat. The only thing has happened to the car recently is the plastic splash guard under the front of the car got up against the exhaust header and melted into two, so I ended up removing the splash guard. I have pulled the corresponding fuses for these electrical components and all are still intact.

Side note: The car has had the dreaded evap leak codes now for a couple years. I have given up on trying to fix that. I don't think it's possible to fix. Also, about six months ago I had to have the distributor replaced after the OEM Distributor failed. The motor misses after cold start, then has a miss intermittently when RPM's are low. Replaced cap and rotor on distributor, did not fix. Not sure if any of that is related to the newest issues that have started.

I have also removed/cleaned/replaced the ground straps nearest to the relay box on the passenger side of the car late this morning. That did not help either.

Any ideas or thoughts on why all of a sudden electrical components are failing this rapidly?

97civicexgirl

Respected
As for the electrical issue I don't know much but maybe try and check the switch. Trace the lines and see if any are bad. Could just be a connector or something simple hopefully.

As for the miss because of the failed distributor. I know you replaced the cap and rotor but did you replace the ignition coil, wires and spark plugs. Could just be something simple. My experience when you have to replace the distributor or rotor just go ahead and get new everything cause something else is bound to be burnt or off.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Cheapshot

5+ Year Member
Talk about random freak occurences. Unplugged the Thermo Switch connector this afternoon and jumped it with a paperclip, then turned ignition switch to on. Rad fan spins, so easy to asume the relay and fan are good, bad thermo switch.

As for the cruise control situation, I found little pieces of plastic on my floorboard. Looked under the dash at the upper clutch pedal assembly and guess what's missing; the plastic piece that engages the clutch switch. Cruise control now fixed.

And the brake lights, still don't know why they're not working but the bulbs look to be intact. Will have to investigate further.