engine died on the road, help

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, my freakin engine just died out on the freakin road for no reason. well i stepped on it a little hard up a over pass, and when i reached the top, i released the accelerator, and my car just shut off. it wouldnt start again, it cranks and the battery works, but wouldnt start. can anymore tell me what the problem is

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
timing belt.....probably :( :(

not fun, sorry dude!!! :?

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well its not the starter cause the car was already started and i was going like 65 mph. and the timing belt is okay. well i checked the fuel pump, the module in the distributor and the coil also, but it seem to have no spark. now i have a lot of fuel in my cylinder that isnt getting burned.

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did u ever get that ignition switch recall done?

civic_anxiety

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ignition switch recall? when was that? but good news, got it fixed, it was the stupid bolt on the crank, but the thing i didnt understand was why would the cam still turn if the crank was loose

O.Z Chi

Team San Jose
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The recall was a couple of years ago. Most hondas have them. The ignition switch failed, grounding the ignition system and turning the car off during operation.

Anyway, it sounds like a really weird problem, since the crank pulley bolt has nothing to do with timing. The only thing that comes to mind is that the alternator wasn't charging the system, thus the ignition had no power, but even w/o the alternator, the battery will supply the power? The timing belt gear pulley is one with the crankshaft, and is not held in by any bolts. Just goes to show how important it is to properly tighten the crank pulley bolt.

OveRBoOSTCiViC

VIETNAMEZE
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it might be the distributor or your fuses under the hood. you should check both. same thing happened to my homies car.