engine stalls on decelleration with AC on. HELP!

Kevin2003

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have a 92 Civic Vx HB that stall when you push the clutch in when the AC is on. Doesn't do it when its of. Check idle boost, new IAC, base idle, plugs, coil, valve adjust, compression test, PCM, ground circuits, injectors serviced, check specs on throttle pos., TW, IAT, fuel pressure and flow, O2 is running high, EVAP, AC pressures ok. Still can't find the problem. Any help at all is appreciated.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you done an AVR test on your electrical?

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some times even if the battery is good it will come up as good but low. If that's the case, it might be messing with the fuel relay. Or if there's any electrical draws on the alternator/starter/battery. You might want to try just un-plugging the fuel related relays and clean the contacts.

Kevin2003

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The battery has been replaced and the alt is good but the relays have not been pulled yet. This is my neighbors car and I am kinda like a go between so he just called and said he will try that tomorrow when he gets home from the shop. We sure appreciate all the ideas you have and I'll update tommorow on if that helps or not. Thanks a bunch caddy.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey I hope it helps. The first thing I would have suggested would have been the IAC, but you replaced it. You might want to check the connections to that as well, just to be sure!

panadol

JDM 1.5 Vtec
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you take your car for timing. This had happened to me. The problem was the guy who tuned my timing belt didn't take notice of the A/C do when it was on the car lost the power so much that it used to stall. All it needs is either a bit of advanced timming or else tune it by computer and let the guy know its got A/C.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the a/c has a switch that controlls the idle when its on, because it kicks up the engine since it has to work harder. They had to replace this on my car when i had the r12 to r134a conversion done. When you turned on the a/c the car would just die ... but once we got that b***h in it worked fine.

I can get a pic of what im talking about when i get home today, but i got a 4th gen so it might be in a different place on your 5th gen.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya that's the IAC or Idle Air Control

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by caddy
Ya that's the IAC or Idle Air Control
coo ... now i know what its called :smile:

ranesh

1991 Grand Civic 35XT JDM
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IAC location?

Melt said:
coo ... now i know what its called :smile:
Hi. I have a 4th gen JDM (91 Civic 35XT EF2) as well. I've been searching and reading the past couple of days for various probs I've got with my engine. Learnt a whole heap in the process. In addition to many other valves and sensors I need to replace I also need to replace the IAC. But I dont know where it's located. Could you post a pic showing where it's located please? Thanks. On my list of stuff to replace are : Coolant Temp Sensor, PCV Valve, O2 Sensor, Crank Angle Sensor, Thermostat, IAC. Hopefully this should sort out the probs I'm having with my engine.

AI-Hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also have a 92 VX as well and mine does the exact same thing but it only happens everyonce and a while.

eortizr

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
panadol said:
did you take your car for timing. This had happened to me. The problem was the guy who tuned my timing belt didn't take notice of the A/C do when it was on the car lost the power so much that it used to stall. All it needs is either a bit of advanced timming or else tune it by computer and let the guy know its got A/C.
That's right.. I have a 93 civic and have the same problem when I replace the timing belt... was just the ignition timing..... once the car was tuned correctly worked great