Engine surging at idle

kevdaman19702

I need help. My 98 LX has developed an idle problem. At idle it surges from about 500 to 2500 rpm. I am.not sure why. A friend told me to remove and clean THE IACV. I did that to no avail. Any ideas??

alex98

I need help. My 98 LX has developed an idle problem. At idle it surges from about 500 to 2500 rpm. I am.not sure why. A friend told me to remove and clean THE IACV. I did that to no avail. Any ideas??
Check for any vacuum leaks.

Jdubyuh

If it’s the rotating style iacv those almost always have to be replaced, I tried cleaning mine three times, I replaced it light went off and it’s idling perfect.. bought one off amazon for 25$

Jreid10

I just picked up a 97 lx has the same surging problem. I haven’t addressed it yet but it could be air in the coolant lines?

Jreid10

I changed my IAC and the idle is stable but now the CEL is on and it wasn’t before I changed the IAC.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the update! :thumbup:

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
I changed my IAC and the idle is stable but now the CEL is on and it wasn’t before I changed the IAC.
As Mr. Baker said. What codes do you have? If you don't have a scanner yourself, you can stop by an Autozone or Oreilly's and they will scan the codes for you. I find that half the time a check engine light is caused by people (myself included) forgetting to plug something back in.

Oh, and the air in the coolant lines question. It's very unlikely that air in the coolant lines would cause that problem.