Engine swap for my '98 Civic EX coupe???

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was wondering which engine setup would best suit my needs for my '98 Civic EX coupe as a daily driver and reliability: 1) GSR+turbo; 2) LS/VTEC+turbo or; 3) CRV/VTEC+turbo??? My main goal is to have a 12-13 second 1/4 mile car to outrun Camaros @ stoplights. Remember, I'm mostly concerned with reliability as this setup would be used as a daily driver. Thanks!

civictyper04

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ls/vtec=turbo thats wut i might be doin anyway...or ill jus turbo the b16a2 i have...but im a big fan of ls/vtec so thats wut im gonna say..good luck

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
two setups i like are b18c and b20s. they have bigger blocks, plus, if you add vtec head to it, it will most likely smoking
v8s. i had a friend put a b20 in his 5th gen. hatch, it still rocking v8s.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Also sounds like a budget issue to me. But if you want the :

Power : Money Ratio = LS/VTEC-T. (Reliability is in the builder)

Reliability : Power Ratio = GSR-T (Gonna spend more here)

UBER Power : Money Ratio = B20/VTEC-T (Can be done for less than a GSR-T with better results)

99cleanCIVICex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How bout this buy a 1g dsm put a bigger turbo and smoke some v8s????????

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Watch as the two year old post is brought back to life! OoOOooOOOooOOOOoooooo

honda209

CCSC # 8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99cleanCIVICex said:
How bout this buy a 1g dsm put a bigger turbo and smoke some v8s????????
he said, he wants something reliable

webcamcivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think the best swap of them all would be a k20 type-r swap. I'm going to be swaping my motor for one in a couple of months for H.I.N.

Kryten

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
Watch as the two year old post is brought back to life! OoOOooOOOooOOOOoooooo

you noticed that too? :lol:

im thinking of the LS/VTEC-T swap but i dont want to lose my A/C so alot of custom work will need to be done.

but im very interested in the B20/VTEC-T setup but then again i dont want to lost the A/C system

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civicjoe8 said:
I was wondering which engine setup would best suit my needs for my '98 Civic EX coupe as a daily driver and reliability: 1) GSR+turbo; 2) LS/VTEC+turbo or; 3) CRV/VTEC+turbo??? My main goal is to have a 12-13 second 1/4 mile car to outrun Camaros @ stoplights. Remember, I'm mostly concerned with reliability as this setup would be used as a daily driver. Thanks!

i would say a LStec turbo, my boy had a setup like that runin 11's just motor no turbo, he went turbo over this winter and blew the motor cuz he had the boost to high and he was shootin a 200shot, most people dont believe an all motor LStec doin 11's i didnt till i seen him blow pass a 12'sec SRT4 on a pull from 60mph... as for the GSR turbo your going to have to build it and 3K plus about another 3K to build it isnt worth the time or money, and Ls blocks are a dime a dozen, B20vtec from what i know of they arent reliable, my plans for the next summer, summer of 06' im doin Lstec turbo im going to start builidin it this year from the bottom up, i plan on boostin it to 20+ moneys tight so its on hold...

VTEC

TAYDAW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ls vtec turbo, friend has one quick as s**t, i couldnt tell you what his 1/4 mile time is cause out here we only have a 1/8 mile track. he was killing camaros though

Kryten

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know a guy that has the LS Vtec turbo in his '00 SI and it runs mid to low 11's on 5-7psi. his 60' times suck cause he is running street tires and cant hook up that well..

but i think for starters now that i have thought about it im going to jsut start tith the LS-Vtec swap and go F/I later on.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what exactly is the ls/vtec swap? ebcause I thought it was the b18a converted to practically b18c1...

TripeoXxX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy smokes, how did a 2 year old post come back to life? Damn!!!

Sleeper

92 4doorSleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DAMN hahaha, noboby answer his question till 2 1/2 years later lol

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
T!mmy said:
what exactly is the ls/vtec swap? ebcause I thought it was the b18a converted to practically b18c1...
ls/vtec
there you go