engine swap help

maddave

hi everyone i purchased car from friend engine went south so he buys zc engine from jdm was told it would work but car runs like a turd when going up a incline i do have check engine light on p0135 p0170 p0172 i know this will hurt performance but i was wondering about vtec engine that blew up new zc does not have vtec does ecm need to be changed or what im new to hondas dont have any clues

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As research would show you, install the correct matching ECU and your problem is likely solved, provided that all the wiring is done correctly. Using punctuations in your post would help clarity.

maddave

As research would show you, install the correvt matching ECU and your problem is likely solved, provided that all the wiring is done correctly. Using punctuations in your post would help clarity.
sorry but do you know what ecu i would need and if any wiring has to be done. previous owner did nothing other than install engine. car runs, idles good just no power going up hill stalls out around 4000 rpm

its single cam. 2000 honda civic coupe. not sure of ecu but do know it factory not been changed

Last edited by a moderator:

maddave

You have an OBD2 car, but there's no mention of the year or trim, so "factory" ECU is not informative.

Click the link I posted. It tells you that the zc sohc is an OBD1 engine and lists ECUs that work with the zc.
im sorry but i am idiot when it comes to imports. would it help if i posted pics of ecu and engine. car is 2000 civic ex and not sure of engine year. block tag is zc 6602788

maddave

You have an OBD2 car, but there's no mention of the year or trim, so "factory" ECU is not informative.

Click the link I posted. It tells you that the zc sohc is an OBD1 engine and lists ECUs that work with the zc.
so you saying i need ecu with code p70, p91 , p29

The stock ECU for the 00 Civic EX is the OBD2b P2P ECU, which should not be used to run the zc.

You need the correct OBD1 ECU for the zc, and an OBD1-OBD2b conversion harness.

In addition, installing an OBD1 engine into an OBD2 car is illegal in many states. I don't know the laws in your state.
where can i purchase ecu and conversion harness i really appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

maddave

eBay may be fine if the seller is reputable.
boofoo thanks alot for info. ive been pulling grey hair out of my head researching this and ive got more from you than i have in last two weeks surfing the web. would i be better just to ditch zc engine and find vtec 1.6 to put back in it

maddave

:thumbup:

Look into a chipped (zc basemap) P06.

Be sure that the ECU also matches the transmission. The chipped P06 probably won't work with an OBD2 auto transmission, if that's what is in the car.
is it worth the trouble or should i just get correct engine. not worried about performance just drivabillity for my daughter