Engine swap(need your input)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 95 civic lx sedan, it currently has the D15B7 engine and m interested in a swap. The motor i want to get is either a B16A2 or a B18B1. Now i dont know how hard/easy these will be to find, and from teh link in the Engine tech thread it says that its a bolt on swap, as i know some stuff will have to be upgraded...Now my question is should i try the swap, or would it be easier/quicker to just build my SOHC D15B7 engine?? Need your input

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you wanna save money get a D16Z head and build a mini me setup... search for it on the net for more info.... i have the exact same car as you and i put a whole D16Z in it... i found a wrecked 94 civic ex and yanked the motor out... after it waqs all said n done i spent about 1000 bucks because i gought all new stuff for it

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so your telling me to just buy the head from one of these motors?? I think for me it would be easier, and cheaper to buy the whole engine, as mine has 144,000 miles on it and to get any power i would have to rebuild the whole thing anyways. so what all did you have to changed, put in...i know i will have to get a wiring harness and the ECU out of the car i get the motor from, but is that it, will the rest be pure bolt on?? now correct me if im wrong but i looked up on the net and found a D16Z6(is this the motor your talking about) and it had 125 hp, not bad, also would this swap be cheaper than a b series, and can i get enough aftermarket parts for hte d-series motor to get extra hp

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no you dont really need to buy ANYTHING for the swap just make sure that you ahve the P28 ECU out of the EX ... yes its MUCH cheaper... well you need 2 wires... to activate your VTEC... when i did my swap i bought

axles, cap, rotor, plugs, clutch kit, all new belts, fuel filter, oil filter, all new fluids, all new hoses, thermostant, water pump, timing belt (VERY IMPORTANT), brakes, about 5 cans of engine brite and in the middle of it all i decided to buy myself a brand new metric tool set...

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol can never have to many tools...and when i get my enginge i plan on new pistons rings, cleaning up block, head, and just stuff to make it real new and able to handle boost and maybe some nos

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if your gonna stay n/a, do a b16a. if your gonna boost, find a wrecked 94+ integra with a b18b (basically anything but a gsr or type r) and boost it. you wont need to run any new wires with the b18b, its a straight bolt in swap. doing a mini me or a full z6 swap is an option, but you might appreciate the extra torque of the b18 with the heavy sedan. also dont do a mini me if you plan to boost, because the mini me increases the compression ratio significantly. let your budget and your goals be your guide.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i thnk ill go with a b18a/b and ive heard for boost go non vtec...so...bought i think b18 series is my best bet...i appreciate your guys help as well...now with a bseries will i need to change out tranny??

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
with any b series swap, you need to swap the engine, tranny, axles, and ecu. your going to need the engine mounts from the integra too. dont buy a b18a from a 90-93 teg. they have a cable tranny which will be a pain to hook up to your car because it has a hydrolic clutch. the 94+ b18b has a hydro too, making your life easier. also try to find either a 94 or 95, because it switched from obd1 to obd2 after 95, making the wiring complicated when you put an obd2 engine in an obd1 car. if possible, buy either a front clip, or even the whole car to make sure you have all the necessary parts to complete the swap. if your on a budget and your going to boost, doing a z6 swap might be a better idea, because the parts to build the internals are cheaper, and you can more easily get replacement parts for it in junkyards. theres also some tricks to doing junkyard turbos available for the d16 too, like using a crx hf or civic cx exhaust manifold as a turbo manifold, etc.

yoman793

boost fiend
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the 94 + b18b1 is a direct bolt in for my 95 dx. theres minimal wiring and a tranny and ecu change out. will i have to change out the axels for ls's? could someone shed some light on this swap for me.

ben

excommunicated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WOW! this thread has been brought back from the dead! Bio has a b16a now.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yoman793 said:
the 94 + b18b1 is a direct bolt in for my 95 dx. theres minimal wiring and a tranny and ecu change out. will i have to change out the axels for ls's? could someone shed some light on this swap for me.
holy shitm where the hell did you get this post from?!? haha, this s**t is old as hell. and yes the LS axles are the ones you need for ANY B series swap.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he already did the swap. ancient thread, its going to die. locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.