Engine swap or Turbo?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Depends on how much you want to spend, and your power goals really. The boosted Y8 will be pretty quick (however get it tuned correctly) but a B16 will give you a little more torque.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
I'm going to turbo my D16Y8, their quick and cheaper to get parts for, but if you do it wrong you will be out of an engine really fast. there's hundreds of threads on both a swap and turbo D16's just do the research and you will be flying down the road in no time!

3ric101

depends how many miles does your car have? I asked the same question a few days ago i am going all motor on my car it will be more dependable, but the downfall it is more expensive then turbo!

emerican

Registered VIP
^ For the cost to go NA on a d series and make anypower you could swap in another motor or rebuild it and boost it and make alot more hp NA on d series engines are very expensive and you get hardly no return hp wise.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wells there's tons of threads out there with this question but just for s**ts and giggles:

Go turbo. You'll have fun boosting it and when you blow up your engine from not doing it right you can get a B series.
If you do it right and don't blow your engine, then you'll have that much more fun.
=)

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Agreed^ haha.

But it really just depends on your cash, I'd say go both for best results lol.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hmmmm. yeah both sounds like the best idea.
After having a a d16y8 and going to a b16 i really felt like i wanted to boost the b16. Not because it wasn't enough, but for the fun in having a boosted car.
I think i would have been sufficiently happy with a D16 boosted.
I feel like my next challenge will be to boost my b16(if i don't get rid of it) or supercharge my S.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Depends on how much you want to spend, and your power goals really. The boosted Y8 will be pretty quick (however get it tuned correctly) but a B16 will give you a little more torque.
1. Youre an idiot.
2. Dont ever give advice again.

OP, boost gives you massive torque, more torque than you could ever gain with an intake and a header. Honestly if you want to boost, ride in a boosted Civic/Integra. Everyone and their mothers wants to boost but no one ever does, till they ride in a boosted Civic/Integra.

I made 207whp/190tq with an eBay turbo kit. It actually made 230 but I had it detuned. Good luck maknig this much torque with a B16A2.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
1. Youre an idiot.
2. Dont ever give advice again.

Rude much?

OP, in my opinion I wouldn't even get a b16in the first place, depending on your budget, get a b (besides the b16), k, or even j series swap, much Better than the b16

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877236,-99.509354
Yeah man, cuz a J swap is drop in and plug and play, it could be done in a weekend. /sarcasm

Also, dont ever give advice again.