Engine Swap Questions

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I still haven't picked up what all the different engines are that you guys like to swap. B16,B18,D16,etc., its all really confusing. Could someone please explain what cars they were in originally, approx hp from each motor, and cost? Thanks

braintree

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here are rough estimates.
B16 are from 99-00 Civic Si with about 160 hp.
B18 are from integras and it depends on what type of integra e.g ls, gs, gs-r ect..and rated around 180 hp.

The price of the swaps depends on the shop you go to. One good thing about hondas is that they are very easy to do and you can do the swap your self. When decideing what engine to go to, you will probably want a b-series engine. that means b16 or b18; by the way, the number 16 and the number 18 refers to the displacment. For example, b16 means a dohc engine with a 1.6 litre displacment. Then you will have to decided what you want for the car, do you want to drag or auto cross? If you want to auto cross, just stick with the b18. If you want to drag, you can go with either for they both have great potential. Remember, the b18 will probably cost more. If you want to drag and go crazy, here's what you want to do.
1. Build and ls/vtec. The integra ls has the most robust bottom end that is great for high boost. Unfortunatley, they do not have vtec. So what you do is take a vtec head off of a b16/b18 and slap in on an integra ls bottom. You will get great torque(for hondas anyways :wink: ) and will be good for boost. This is pretty hard to do so you might want a shop to do it.
2. Build a B20 vtec. Honda's have alittle torque so raising the displacment will increase the torque. So if you increase the displacment to 2.0 litre, this will help in acceleration. What you do is take the bottom end off of a Honda CRV (that little suv) and put it with a vtec head from a b16/b18. This swap is very difficult but can yeild great results.
3. Swap in an H22. this is the dohc prelude engine with 2.2 litre displacement. Expensive and dificult but has great touque and about 220 hp.

By the way, the B16, b18, ls/vtec, and b20 will fit into any 90+ integra, civic, crx with little modification. The H22 will need a lot of modification which will cost more. Just chose what engine that you want, and call up a shop for a quote.

Hope this helps.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't see that anyone answered this. Thanks a lot for the great information, its exactly what i was looking for.
I need to pay more attention 8)

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to add to the list.

There are different generation B16's all having different hp, torque, compression.

B16A SiRI - 160hp - 88-91 Civic/CRX SiR
B16A SiRII - 170hp - 92-95 Civic SiR
B16A2 - 160hp - 99-00 Civic Si 96-97 Del SOl
B16A3 - 160hp - 94-95 Del Sol

If you look at the sticky in this forum there is a list of most of the B,D,K,F series motors.