Engine takes along time to heat up good or bad???

spidersilva

I started my car and drove around and was flooring it too for about 8min and the temperature was still cold, it didn't even move. My fan was off too. I know the thermostat could be stuck open but after about 12min the temperature needle went up a little bit. The farthest I've seen it up was 1/4 when 2/4 being half. What could go wrong if I keep driving like this without fixing it? Heard that the oil needs to be warmed up to have the engine run properly.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
First of all was it cold outside? This has a huge factor...

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I started my car and drove around and was flooring it too for about 8min and the temperature was still cold, it didn't even move. My fan was off too. I know the thermostat could be stuck open but after about 12min the temperature needle went up a little bit. The farthest I've seen it up was 1/4 when 2/4 being half. What could go wrong if I keep driving like this without fixing it? Heard that the oil needs to be warmed up to have the engine run properly.
The thermostat is meant to stay closed so that the car warms up faster, and open when it starts to reach operating temperature.

If it is stuck open, your car will take a longer time to get up to operating temperature..

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Seriously? Just replace it, its like $20 lol.

Make sure you verify that it is stuck open first though, check if the coolant is circulating by feeling the upper radiator hose when the car is cold.

spidersilva

Seriously? Just replace it, its like $20 lol.

Make sure you verify that it is stuck open first though, check if the coolant is circulating by feeling the upper radiator hose when the car is cold.
I'm not talking about fixing it, i'm saying what will happen if I don't.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Warm oil lubricates better. Premature engine wear, if it doesn't get up to full temp over short trips you get s**t building up in your motor etc etc. Seriously dude. Spend $12 and take the three tiny bolts out and replace it. Don't be lazy, treat it right and it'll treat YOU right.

spidersilva

Warm oil lubricates better. Premature engine wear, if it doesn't get up to full temp over short trips you get s*** building up in your motor etc etc. Seriously dude. Spend $12 and take the three tiny bolts out and replace it. Don't be lazy, treat it right and it'll treat YOU right.
finally somebody tells me what will happen, that's all i wanted, thanks man

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
finally somebody tells me what will happen, that's all i wanted, thanks man
Yes, there IS a good reason you should replace it if it's stuck open. That's why small motors tend to last a long time, they get up to operating temp very quickly and most people do lots of short trips.