engines, decisions decisions

civicspencer

Registered VIP
ok guys ive done plenty of research and have narrowed my engine swap list

B18C
H22A

now i want all of your opinions on these two motors
i understand the C1 would be well known and have the most parts for but the H22A has more power and about the same price

my goal i have in mind is boosting it on 25lbs and doing a full bottom end rebuild for the set up

Trekk

Registered VIP
I hate to be "that guy" but this is one of those questions that has been asked a million times, so Google will find you lots of fighting about it.
It might help to state your goals. I'd presonally go with more TQ of the H22, you can make HP easy, TQ not so much.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
b18.

h22 is too f**king heavy

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B18C swapped in that is turbocharged will give you all the power and torque you need for your little car. It becomes useless after 300 horsepower anyway. The H22A has FRM cylinder walls; not the best to be boosted. Get an Ls or B20B swap. If all you plan on doing is boosting then the V-TEC will become useless. V-TEC was invented to save fuel mileage. Not give you more power, it does though. Just my opinion.

H series requires you to cut your car whereas the B series doesn't.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B18 will bolt right in. H22 will add to the understeer with its extra weight, you'll lose some of the fun handling which really is the best part of the car. Faster doesn't always mean more fun to drive.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So much wrong info being posted here... H22 is not much heavier than a B-Series.

An h22 shortblock weighs about 20 pounds heavier than a b16 shortblock. The h22 transmission weighs about 6 pounds heavier over a b series. That weight can be negated by gutting or going on a diet or driving with less fuel in the tank.

If you want boost, b18bs take boost like a champ.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Even if the H22 was 100lbs more weight, its over the wheels so it more traction =) 100lbs is only about 1/10 a second in the 1/4 anyways. Most people lose seconds in the 60 foot due to lack of skill, so a 1/10 is nothing

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Make sence, I think I will go with the b18c
And I've already done my fair share of research I wanted to see your guys opinions and sounds good
And there's no way I want to boost a b18b that's just not an option for me

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
B18C swapped in that is turbocharged will give you all the power and torque you need for your little car. It becomes useless after 300 horsepower anyway. The H22A has FRM cylinder walls; not the best to be boosted. Get an Ls or B20B swap. If all you plan on doing is boosting then the V-TEC will become useless. V-TEC was invented to save fuel mileage. Not give you more power, it does though. Just my opinion.

H series requires you to cut your car whereas the B series doesn't.
what the f**k are you talking about? Vtec provides equal torque throughout the powerband, large cams designed for high rpm have shitty low-end and hurts drivabilty around town/normal driving conditions. VTEC allows an engine the benefits of a mild eco friendly cam with low end torque and the high revving abilities of a high profile cam in one package.

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i would go with the B18C, their more well known and to me it seems like an easier swap.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The difference in weight is negligible.

your goal is boost so B18, do some research on the H series motors and you'll know why we all say B-Series with boost.

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Ya I'm going with the b18C
Do you guys know of any websites or links of places I can read up on and learn more about boosting so I can be on top of it all

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ya I'm going with the b18C
Do you guys know of any websites or links of places I can read up on and learn more about boosting so I can be on top of it all
Any Honda forum or even google. There is a Forced Induction section on here. Just pay attention to the threads / information you are reading and see if everyone in a thread is agreeing on whatever information is being provided.