NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why not just convert to R-134a?

I thought you needed a license to purchase real R-12 anyway.

You'll also have to remove the old R-12 from the system, which it's illegal to vent into the atmosphere. You're supposed to bring it to a shop so they can dispose of it in the correct manner.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Why not just convert to R-134a?

I thought you needed a license to purchase real R-12 anyway.

You'll also have to remove the old R-12 from the system, which it's illegal to vent into the atmosphere. You're supposed to bring it to a shop so they can dispose of it in the correct manner.
r12 is HELLA expensive, BUT you can't beat the cooling power of it, and you do indeed need a license i believe to even possess it, and yea do go just emptying it into the air, 134 retro kits a cheap as fawk so might as well do it

YeLLoWCiViC

Huh???
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You dont need a license to buy envirosafe r-12 and its $8 for 5oz. which equals 18oz. or regular r-12. so u only need 2 cans of envirosafe r-12 to fill up ur a/c i just wanted to know if anybody has used it before. and i wont go to r134 cuz of the high pressure.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
YeLLoWCiViC said:
You dont need a license to buy envirosafe r-12 and its $8 for 5oz. which equals 18oz. or regular r-12. so u only need 2 cans of envirosafe r-12 to fill up ur a/c i just wanted to know if anybody has used it before. and i wont go to r134 cuz of the high pressure.
it wont match the cooling power of good ol' r12, but then again..... not much will

if your system is currently setup for r12, the r134a will still cause problems over time.
the "retrofit" that most shops do and the kits you can buy at auto parts stores are kind of a joke.
you would need to replace all of the seals, the condenser, etc etc to do a true retrofit.

the envirosafe r12 is better for your a/c system than r134a, as in it wont damage the seals and such, but it wont quite cool as well as r134a either....

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just have it converted to R-134a, I did it in my 89 F150 I just need to charge it, Im licensed by the EPA to do recovery and such so it wasnt too hard for me

YeLLoWCiViC

Huh???
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
it wont match the cooling power of good ol' r12, but then again..... not much will

if your system is currently setup for r12, the r134a will still cause problems over time.
the "retrofit" that most shops do and the kits you can buy at auto parts stores are kind of a joke.
you would need to replace all of the seals, the condenser, etc etc to do a true retrofit.

the envirosafe r12 is better for your a/c system than r134a, as in it wont damage the seals and such, but it wont quite cool as well as r134a either....

Some guy on another forum said it cooled at 40 degrees with the ambient air being at 90 degrees. sure beats being all sweaty during the summer like i am :evil:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
YeLLoWCiViC said:
Some guy on another forum said it cooled at 40 degrees with the ambient air being at 90 degrees. sure beats being all sweaty during the summer like i am :evil:
well dont expect his results to the norm.... infact.. dont expect his results to be all that truthfull :lol:

it still cools, it still works pretty good... just not as well as other coolants
but your a/c system will last longer if with it... r134a will kill your seals

YeLLoWCiViC

Huh???
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
well dont expect his results to the norm.... infact.. dont expect his results to be all that truthfull :lol:

it still cools, it still works pretty good... just not as well as other coolants
but your a/c system will last longer if with it... r134a will kill your seals

Yeah thats why i dont wanna convert it to r-134 id rather spend a few more dollars and have my a/c last longer than get the r-134 quick and a year later have to buy another a/c system

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
YeLLoWCiViC said:
Yeah thats why i dont wanna convert it to r-134 id rather spend a few more dollars and have my a/c last longer than get the r-134 quick and a year later have to buy another a/c system
you could always search on e-bay for a can of R-12 :D my instructor from Vo Tech still has a huge 50 lb. can of it that we used on cars all the time, shame you arent in PA or I'd hook you up

YeLLoWCiViC

Huh???
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn i wish i was in PA its really hot in texas (whoever invented texas in july is stupid) Anyways well has anybody heard of Freeze 12??????

m1tanker

COMBAT VETERAN
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
has anybody tried out that es-12a in their car that came with 134a in it?

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know someone who converted to envirosafe from 134a and said it cooled a ton better. not to mention its not nearly as bad for the environment as 134a and r12 is.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
YeLLoWCiViC said:
Damn i wish i was in PA its really hot in texas (whoever invented texas in july is stupid) Anyways well has anybody heard of Freeze 12??????
Freeze 12 is a blend refrigerant. 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b.

I think you still need an EPA Section 602 license or greater for purchasing Freeze 12

It doesn't contain butane though like most drop-in replacements for R-12. That's a good thing.

I worked with a guy that would retrofit R-134a systems to Freeze 12. It worked better than the R-134a refrigerant. He did a Party Bus and that s**t was like a meat locker with the A/C on high.

If you're in Dallas, there's a shop over near Swiss Ave and Good-Latimer that sells it. I can't remember their name now but it's one block north and east of The Lizard Lounge. Uh-OhZone and Uh-OhReilly won't sell it because their A/C part supplier won't honor warranty when a drop-in replacement is used.

It's still molecularly smaller than R-12 so if you have leaks on R-12 you are going to continue to have leaks on Freeze 12.

Or you can take a trip to Juarez and try to smuggle some 500 g cans of R-12 back.

m1tanker

COMBAT VETERAN
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so can you put the ES-12a stuff directly into a r-134a system?