Eran Presents: 3M Perfect-It II

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today, Amy and I decided to do some ground-up details of our car. The biggest difference in what we would normally do is we polished twice. The second pass was with your run-of-the-mill hand polish, but the first was with 3M Perfect-It II. This is professional grade polish meant for heavy maring, oxidation, and water spots. I would not recomend this for beginners. It is very difficult to work with, dries very quickly, and is difficult to remove. Even after a full detail, we still had to wash our cars a second time due to the residue.

But all that aside, the results were phenominal, even with hand application. All the oxidation was removed from our clearcoats, and a new color was brought forth. Amy's paint mainly just got a new level of clarity, and a bit richer. My paint, however, took on a whole new tone. While the orange hues remain (that is the nature of my paint color, afterall), the brassiness and faded highlights are gone. My car litterally looks redder. It has new depth and clarity that I have never seen in my own vehicle.

If you are serious about your paint, and know what you are doing, I highly recomend this product.

Here are the steps we took today:

Eran's EJ6:
Wash with Meguiar's Detailer Shampoo Plus
Clay with Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar + Water
Polish with 3M Perfect-It II
Polish with Meguiar's Hand Polish
Wax with Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #3
Trim dressing with Meguiar's NXT Tech-Protect
Second Wash with Meguiar's Detailer Shampoo Plus

NOFX's EJ8:
Wash with Meguiar's Detailer Shampoo Plus
Clay with Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar + Water
Polish with 3M Perfect-It II
Polish with Meguiar's Hand Polish
Wax with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax
Second Wash with Meguiar's Detailer Shampoo Plus

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
o0oo nice ..good to see ur repp'n washington

3DScott

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i said that looked amazing it would be an understatement. so im going to say this.... 0_0 wow!

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent results.... :thumbs up

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This clay bar we used this time also is MUCH tackier and tougher to work (as in reform and turn into itself) than the bar we usually have used in the past (Mothers).

What I'm really impressed with about Eran's detail is that as many of you have seen before, he's had some 'fading' issues on some panels more than others. Bad enough so that the rear quarter didn't match the door before. It was probably my biggest problem with Eran's car. I mean, I felt bad that we couldn't match the panels before no matter how hard we worked the Meg's Hand Polish. I hoped before that we could fix that with a higher cut, and hoped the paint wasn't actually damaged in any way. Now I see it wasn't and isn't. :D

That Perfect-It II was a pain in the ass though. Glad we won't have to do that again (to our own cars) for awhile.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
very nice... i wish i had someone to wash cars with :(

Machinehead115

Team Four Door
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn man they look sic :drool: can definately tell the difference in eran's :thumbs up

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn that looks good.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm still in shock at how well this stuff worked. I was cursing it when I was putting it on. It was absorbing into all my moulding and trim, and especially into my brand new mudguards. But the NXT Tech Protect took it right out, and brought it back to black :thumbs up

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
both cars look great. it definitely looks like it worked real well.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's a really good shot of how it used to not match:

This was taken about 3 months ago.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh, and just to remind everyone... both these cars... well, I'll speak for mine at least... My car looked like crap when I got it. Sure, it was better than the '96 MR coupe that was two cars away from it on the trade-in hill at the dealership.... (that car had THICK oxidation though)...but still.

My car's biggest paint issue (the coupe) was heavy oxidationn from the pinstripe up. I at first wanted to remove the pinstripe, but now I'm glad I took my time to think it over. I get compliments on the pinstripe all the time now. :D They're painted on, so granted I had to take time to think it over before evenbeing able to remove them. Oh, and my rear bumper is a $50 one from some guy's garage in PA. Sat in there maybe a year or so and has scuffs that are mostly on the top.

I know Eran's cat had much bigger issues paint wise than mine both before and after his accident. Just look at the door compared to the rear quarter panel on that pic above. Not as blatant as it always seemed in person, but I'm a paint whore too.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, my car was straight up magenta when I got it. Everyone on this site used to tease me about my 'pink' car when I first joined :lol:

Yeah, you OG's remember that :laugh:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I remember people saying how they hate Milano Red because it's "too pink". Oh yeah... my car is pink, right? :lol:

All red cars turn pink if not taken care of. =)

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Words can not describe how beautiful those cars look. The shine and vibrancy of color is incredible. Great job!

How long did this take?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Maybe four hours start to finish? That's my guess. Not that bad for the results at all.

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As, I've said before, I'll hit you guys up when I have extra cash to blow on Amy's skillz. Sick sick sick!!!

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
B16EJ1 said:
As, I've said before, I'll hit you guys up when I have extra cash to blow on Amy's skillz. Sick sick sick!!!
And Eran's! As you see he's been learning a lot. I know he knew some when I got here, but we've both been getting more eperimental with different, more agressive products.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jeez....they look flawless. I'd say it was well worth it. I'll have to try it out sometime.