Evap leak at gas tank - can I use plastidip?

myfavecoupe

[/URL][/IMG]Car threw an evap leak code. Had it put on a smoke tester and smoke was found escaping around the fuel pump and fuel sending unit covers.

They look pretty rusty especially sending unit cover so I'm iffy about replacing the gaskets and breaking a stud/nut or just having the metal fall apart.

Could I simply use some kind of sealant that's not permanent around the lips? Was thinking using some plastidip

motakitty

I wouldn't just cause the chemicals and fuel vapors might not like each other. You need to fix it properly

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Plastidip is a paint not a sealant. It wasn't designed as such and won't work. Do it right the first time. Just use a good rust breaker (ie: pb blaster) and let it sit, then take the bolts out.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Fix what's broken, don't just cover it up.

And no, Plastidip wouldn't work.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Plastidip is a paint not a sealant. It wasn't designed as such and won't work. Do it right the first time. Just use a good rust breaker (ie: pb blaster) and let it sit, then take the bolts out.
Fix what's broken, don't just cover it up.
I agree with them. Fuel containment and delivery is not something worth rigging. I wont even suggest a sealant because its just dangerous. Attempt to properly fix the issue before you blow up yourself or hurt others.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plastidip is a paint not a sealant.
And it sucks at that.

When I need something to sit for a good bit, I usually use Mopar Rust Penetrant. I use PB for absolutely everything, but this Mopar spray is pretty awesome; it sits and foams up where you spray it, no drips or anything. Get it online or any Chrysler dealership, think it's like $10 a can or something.

myfavecoupe

Thanks. That fuel sending unit cover looks like it's about to break into little pieces if touched but I'll do it properly.

Anyone know if those gaskets are dealer parts only?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. That fuel sending unit cover looks like it's about to break into little pieces if touched but I'll do it properly.

Anyone know if those gaskets are dealer parts only?
I believe it is a dealer special-order part being that its a gasket that hardly gets replaced.