100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha maybe if we werent in california

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
those duratec engines are notorious for oil sludge build up especially with pennzoil. tell him to be careful and keep an eye on it next time. they run so friggin hot and that damn exhaust burns the hell out of the oil filters.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn wish we'd known that before haha. What oil would you recommend him run? Perhaps a synthetic blend or full synthetic after we break it in since the motors gonna have all new everything anyway?

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
Yeah dude Mercury's done for but they put the same damn engine in the 2000ish gen Ford Mondeo, Ford Contour , Mercury Cougar, Mercury Mystique, Jaguar X-Type and a couple others so you'd think they'd still make some parts for em. I think fords just trying to erase all its mistakes so basically half the cars they've come out with haha.
more like 9 out of 10

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Damn that sucks... How much has the total rebuild cost?

I use the shittiest oil I can buy for my Civic but I change it regularly. So no sludge for me, my head is squeaky clean.

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
id run valvoline or castrol maybe even mobil. (synthetic is a choice of money willing to spend i think). a good filter will help. but the biggest improvement would be a aftermarket header that doesnt put off so much heat with maybe a header wrap where it runs near the filter. it just puts out way to much heat and literally cooks the oil way hotter than it should in the engine itself.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@DarkCreep: So far were about $400 in with the new engine and having the heads resurfaced, but we haven't actually began rebuilding it yet cuz my bud's low on cash. Not to mention he went and bought a manual trans shift linkage etc because were doing an auto to manual conv on his car as well.

@bullgod88: Alright cool thanks, Yeah he wants to get new headers as well so I guess I'll try to steer him towards ceramic and/or header wrap.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Of what? lol Here's the only pic I have of the car, thats my bud, the owner in the bay. It's the usual success pic haha:

Took 3 afternoons to get the engine out. It was an east coast car and every exhaust bolt along with some other stuff was rusted to the point of needing to be cut. The first day we didn't have a cutter. The second day we underestimated the bolts and ran outta blades so finished some other stuff. Then finally we got it out. Pain in the ass

I'll put up more later if you guys want, but its just another cougar at this oint. But then again I guess you don't see em everywhere like civics haha

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
no problem man good luck your gonna need it haha jk. keep us posted, tight engine bay must have cussed alot

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh yeah man I friggin hate this car now. You can completely tell the car was designed with the engine as an after thought, or at least thats how it seems

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
oh yeah man I friggin hate this car now. You can completely tell the car was designed with the engine as an after thought, or at least thats how it seems
They designed it knowing one day you would have to take on this challenge and would have to overcome it. Lmao ford= profit first quality and customers second