Ever seen those oil sludge commercials?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought they were funny until my buddies cougar died and we pulled the engine to rebuild it and this is what we found.

So we sent the heads out and let the valve covers and other pieces sit in a solvent tank over night, scrubbed em, then still had to sand blast them. Till they finally came clean

But unfortunately the damage was done, and the sludge clogged the pick up, starved his block and he spun a bearing so bad it kinda fused on the opposite side lol:

So note to self, make sure when you get a car the previous owner actually gave it oil changes lol

emerican

Registered VIP
Damn sorry to hear about his car, did he change the oil or was it the previous owner who didnt think it was important.
Also i always laugh at those commericals havent seen one in a while though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Holy s**t......

When I pulled my oil pan, there was no sludge at all. Not even a tiny chunk. It was just mildly stained. And that's with 220k. But then again my engine has only seen Mobil 1 every 3000 since the day it was bought.

97civicMan

Knucklehead h8r
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats got Quakerstate sludged all over it!

emerican

Registered VIP
mine had 180 plus on it when i pulled my pan and it had nothing on it whatsoever. Thankfully the 1 owner that had my ex before me barley drove it always changed the oil and never beat on it.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thankfully the 1 owner that had my ex before me barley drove it always changed the oil and never beat on it.
Doesn't matter how much a car is driven or how much the car was or wasn't beaten on. What matters is how the car was maintained. My car has been through hell and back hundreds of times. Hell I still beat the s**t out of it every once in a while.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bet you can guess how many miles on the car....70,000. The cars a 2002 Mercury Cougar. The car was left to him by his Grandpa after he died and had about 60k on it and he got regular oil changes but it seems like his grandpa didn't get the oil changed for the 60k miles he had the car lol. I'll see if I can find some pics of the heads before we cleaned them

emerican

Registered VIP
Doesn't matter how much a car is driven or how much the car was or wasn't beaten on. What matters is how the car was maintained. My car has been through hell and back hundreds of times. Hell I still beat the s*** out of it every once in a while.
Very true sir cause i beat the s**t outa my car all the time lol, but all the maitnence is always done right so its ok.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Heads before:

And after kinda, still gotta scrub em a bit:

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha yeah we were cracking up to see the bearing. Needless to say we went to pick n pull to get a new engine cuz the crank was toast.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We've asked him the same question multiple times haha. He really loved his grandpa and he loves the car. Sentimental reasons. But we are rebuilding it with SVT parts so it will get a whopping 200bhp + whatever headers and an exhaust will add. lol

emerican

Registered VIP
sentimental value will add a ton to a car man.
I hung on to my old 5.0 even though gas was killing me and it was pushing 300,000 plus miles and burning a s**t load of oil lol
I loved it though. bbk intake,headers,custom exhaust, upgraded igntion stuff and a bunch of other mods, but continly fixing it was beating a dead horse in a way lol.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah which is exactly why were going through this. We tried to convince him for a while but when it became obvious he didn't want to get rid of it we decided to rebuild it. Of course now he's being a pain in the ass about which blocks and valve covers and what not we use. I'm about to kick his ass haha.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OUCH. Was the block even salvageable?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well we were not sure about the block but we got a new one from pick n pull so we probably won't be using it anyway. Heads were fine though lol. But man Working with older fords is a lot more annoying then Hondas. Half the stuff for this engine is discontinued, cams, pistons, crank etc. apparently ford doesn't expect u to rebuild there cars lol

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
well yeah, they dont even make the damn car anymore lol

and they did for what, 3 years? Is mercury even around still?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah dude Mercury's done for but they put the same damn engine in the 2000ish gen Ford Mondeo, Ford Contour , Mercury Cougar, Mercury Mystique, Jaguar X-Type and a couple others so you'd think they'd still make some parts for em. I think fords just trying to erase all its mistakes so basically half the cars they've come out with haha.