exhaust help...

1PhatCivic28

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have an 05 Civic Si hatch... i have a Greddy Evo2 cat-back, dc header and a megan racing test pipe... whenever it rains hard and the exhaust get really wet it rattles like hell and with the test pipe i have been throwing O2 codes... anyone have any words of wisdom on how to fix this problem???

bmyers4321

timmy the testie rules!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1PhatCivic28 said:
i have an 05 Civic Si hatch... i have a Greddy Evo2 cat-back, dc header and a megan racing test pipe... whenever it rains hard and the exhaust get really wet it rattles like hell and with the test pipe i have been throwing O2 codes... anyone have any words of wisdom on how to fix this problem???
check out ephatch.com there are a few people that have had that problem there. as for the O2 codes there is a fix on ephatch also. this is what you need for the O2 sensor.

http://www.ephatch.com/resource/simthing/simthing.htm

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Any chance you could post up what they did in here? I searched EP hatch and couldnt find a thing.

bmyers4321

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
edit: i found what you guys probly want to hear.

Ill_eagle94 said:
If the smoke is coming off the header, it's most likely just some chemical s**t they put on it, it'll burn off over time.

Cars with test pipes/race headers seem to have much more water vapor present in the exhaust too. Unless you're getting alot, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it's really bad out teh tailpipe, then you better look into a headgasket.
here is the entire thread.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103122&highlight=white+smoke

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope.. worrying about rattling... not white smoke... oh well.

bmyers4321

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
Nope.. worrying about rattling... not white smoke... oh well.
where is the rattling coming from. if anything it is probly just hitting off of something.

1PhatCivic28

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks a lot bmyers4321.. the O2 help was a definite help... and thanks for the exhaust help...

bmyers4321

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1PhatCivic28 said:
thanks a lot bmyers4321.. the O2 help was a definite help... and thanks for the exhaust help...
no problem.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Since you've got your help, I guess I'll go ahead and hijack.. lol.

Usually it rattles off of the sway bar. No clue how to fix it though.

04civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i guess you gotta take it to the shop?? and you get that 02 code because your test pipe eliminates your cat.

bmyers4321

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
Since you've got your help, I guess I'll go ahead and hijack.. lol.

Usually it rattles off of the sway bar. No clue how to fix it though.
do you have an aftermarket sway bar or is it stock. only thing i could really think of doing it take to a muffler shop and have them make some hanger right there to pull it up a little.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bmyers4321 said:
do you have an aftermarket sway bar or is it stock. only thing i could really think of doing it take to a muffler shop and have them make some hanger right there to pull it up a little.
Aftermarket sway. My only problem is that there's not much room in between the sway, and whatever is above it. I dunno, I guess I'll try and find a muffler shop and see what they say.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Ok I'm confused :what:

1PhatCivic28 Has an EP2
joe7987 Has an EM2 (according to his sig)

I as well have an EM2 and know of the rattle, and a not so approved way of how to fix it...

After the cat, the pipe crosses from the center of the car to the passanger side. It goes through a "pre molded" "frame". This frame is "semi" structual. It's kind of hard to explain. You could do a couple of things...
1: "Bang" out the frame. I would NOT suggest heat! But I did use an air hammer, with a blunt tip.
2: Wrap the pipe with a heat wrap. (although not eliminating the rattle, it will reduce it)
3: Live with it.

Just my .02 cents.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is banging the frame advisable? Does that not hurt the structural integrity of the vehicle?

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
The portion of the frame I modified, isn't very structural. It already has a bent/fold in it for the exhaust in the first place. Although I do not advise it. I went to a local body shop. I've got a couple of friends there. For the ammount of the bending/hammering I did, they said it wouldn't be harmfull. We even put the car on the lazer frame rack, to see if it effected anything structural. The lazer frame macheine checks about 150 points on the car's frame/unibody. The hammering didn't effect any of thoes critical points. But like I said, I woulndn't attempt to do this. The only reason I did, was because of the resorces available to me.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yea... maybe I'll just try and find an exhaust shop around here and see what they can do for me.

This rattling is so annoying / embarassing, blah.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Hey,

To make matters worse....
I was "rear-ended" this weekend. Hmm maby now i can get the rear bumper from the 04, to match the tail lights. I'll try to get som picts up today... (they'll be from my cell cam) :angryred:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ahh man, that sucks.... but atleast you'll get a free bumper out of it