Exhuast....is it different for each trim model?

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay, I've talk about this before...but now I'm gettin around to actually getting my exhaust. I have a 96 Civic LX. The damn thing about an LX is that it's got a pre-cat. Well, what I want to know is this.

1. Which would be a better buy? 4-2-1 or 4-1. This is my daily driver car.

2. Can I get a header that is made for an EX for my year? Cause if I can, then great! cause I plan on doing this myself. and if I can do this, then it'd be easy and I can just hook up a new cat after the header, then the catback exhaust. right?!?!?

any help would be greatlly appreciated =)

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
an ex header will fit, but you will need to weld a high-flow cat after it. i would go with a 4-2-1 since the d16y7 isn't really a high reving engine.

there was a dyno test in an old import tuner with the hp motorsports header and it gained 9 hp and i think 6 lbs or torque on a dx. i think they only run for like $170 bucks at nopi.

hope some of this helps.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks, it sure does help knowing for sure that the header will fit. so now that i know that right....when I choose the catback exhaust I will choose one that will fit an ex correct? so that it lines up with the ex header??? and it seems that there aren't a whole lot of 4-door catbacks out there. I mean, I found plenty. But does it matter? I'm sure it does, but i keep seeing 2/4 door ones...and it would seem that the 4 door has to have longer pipe.

oh yea, is there any performance difference between ceramic and stainless headers? which is better...

nightkids1

Old School Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the stainless one will last longer, but the ceramic cools off better bu it will only last a few years

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by "M706"

thanks, it sure does help knowing for sure that the header will fit. so now that i know that right....when I choose the catback exhaust I will choose one that will fit an ex correct? so that it lines up with the ex header??? and it seems that there aren't a whole lot of 4-door catbacks out there. I mean, I found plenty. But does it matter? I'm sure it does, but i keep seeing 2/4 door ones...and it would seem that the 4 door has to have longer pipe.

oh yea, is there any performance difference between ceramic and stainless headers? which is better...
chances r, if it SAYS it's for a 2/4 door, it's FOR a 2/4 door dude. i believe(dunno if i'm exactly right tho) that the 4 door civics r just as long as the 2 door ones. i think they sit on the same chassis. anyone please correct me if i'm wrong. :D

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
Originally posted by "SickCiViC"

M706 said:

chances r, if it SAYS it's for a 2/4 door, it's FOR a 2/4 door dude. i believe(dunno if i'm exactly right tho) that the 4 door civics r just as long as the 2 door ones. i think they sit on the same chassis. anyone please correct me if i'm wrong. :D
your right, the coupes and sedans are the same length, so either a 2/4 door exhaust will fit.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
woohoo! sorry, you'll have to excuse my un-knowingness..... :roll:

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well....make some suggestions yo's. I've probably pretty much decided on the DC Sports 4-2-1 Stainless header (who cares if it'll turn purple...it add character...) let me know what's good for exhaust. I've been lookin on ebay but don't seem be finding anything much...soooo.....uhh...they're probably all the same neway right?

13hybrid20

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The ceramic is better for per formance but not by a lot but if you have an lx that you are trying to make fast you need all the help you can get.

M706

somethingmorethannothing
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol, thanks.... :?