[FAQ] What are some modifications I can put into my 96-00 Civic?

CO671

Registered VIP
FAQs - Frequently Asked (Tech) Questions
6th Generation FAQ

WARNING: BEFORE ADDING MODIFICATIONS, SPEND YOUR MONEY ON NECESSARY REPAIRS.

Please, do the roads, safety of other people, your car, & yourself a favor by fixing any problems with it now.Before you plan on slapping on some accessories or modifications, ensure your vehicle is safe, reliable,& sturdy. An overall tune-up would be the best modification if the vehicle hasn't been maintained properly. This may include all fluids (oil, antifreeze/coolant, transmission oil, brake, &/or power steering, & clutch). A distributor cap, rotor, or spark plug + wire change too, suspension bushings, brake pads/rotors etc;. You get the gist, just make sure your vehicle fits spec reliability before you do anything, or else your car will just be riced junk with accessories.

IF YOU HAVE A D16Y7/D16Y8 ENGINE AND YOU WANT TO DUMP $1000's INTO HEADERS/INTAKE/EXHAUST FOR "POWER" YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME. YOU'RE BUYING SOUND MODS, NOT POWER MODS. THESE ARE ECONOMICAL ENGINES FOR GAS MILEAGE, NOT HORSEPOWER. THERES NO HIDDEN POTENTIAL POWER FOR AN ALL MOTOR BUILD, DYNO RESULTS PROVE THAT THEY GIVE NO NOTICEABLE POWER WORTH THE MONEY. . SO READ THE LINK BELOW UNDER "ENGINE".

I. Interior
-Integra Dual Bend Shifter
-Weighted Shift Knob
-Wide Angle Rear view mirror
-Dome light LED upgrade
-Integra/Civic EX/SI Map light
-Seat Swap
-Cluster Plug&Play
>>Clusters requiring modification
-Steering wheel swaps
-Headliner/Carpet Dye
II. Exterior
-Front Lips
-Rear Lips
-Mudguards
-Fog Lights
-Tail Lights
III. Engine
IV. Suspension
V. Wheels

Interior
~$20+ (usually under $20) used Integra dual-bend shifter into 96-00 Civic
(Will need to be cut/dremeled to fit)
I highly recommend this, a noticeably different feel /short throw and worth the effort.
Length to cut
Shifter Installation Tutorial

~$??? weighted shift knob
If you want a different feel in shifting but don't want to do the shifter mod mentioned above, purchase a weighted knob. I personally use the PWJDM and it makes a huge difference.

~$25 240mm Convex Broadway rear view mirror (Ebay/Amazon)
If you're not a fan of a Convex, then a flat version is available.

~$5 48-LED panel Dome Light insert
Amazon Listing - All Bulb Sizes for Civic

~$??? used Integra/ Civic EX or SI Map-Light DIY
Integra Map Light - Map + Trunk Light Tutorial -

~$??? - Seat Swap
More Info
96-00 CIVIC:
-Front-
•92-95 Civic w/EK rails
•94-01 Integra w/EK rails
•97-01 CR-V w/EK rails
•92-97 Del Sol w/EK rails
•97-01 Prelude w/EK rails
•97-02 Accord Coupe w/EK rails
•01-03 CL w/EK rails*Requires 12v for heat feature
-Rear-(Hatch)
•92-95 Civic *Hatchback only
•94-01 Integra *Hatchback only
•02-06 RSX
-Rear-(Coupe)
•01-05 Civic Si*EP3 only
-Rear-(Sedan)
•92-95 Civic Sedan
•94-01 Integra Sedan

Cluster Modifications
Any 96-00 based Civic chassis cluster will plug & play no modification, this applies internationally.
Japanese, European, Asian, Australian/New Zealand, Canadian clusters will fit in USDM Civic's too.
97-01 CRV's - JDM Honda SMX - CDM (Canada) Acura 1.6 EL - Isuzu Gemini - Honda Orthia - JDM Honda Integra SJ also

Modification Required Clusters:
94-01 Integra
03-04 Civic
S2000

~$??? Steering wheel swaps
"What OEM Wheel fits w/ tutorial links"

~$?? Headliner/carpet dyeing (can be reupholstered easily too which may be better)
Carpet

"Post Your Interior Thread" (For Inspirational purposes)

Exterior

1996-1998 / 1999-2000 Civic Body Differences & Front & Rear Conversion

96 - 98 Lip Options

If purchasing a replica lip, do yourself a favor & get a polyurethane replica, they're much more flexible than the ABS plastic which may crack & break very easily, although their fitment may be more precise (not as precise as OEM or genuine of course)

99 - 00 Lip options
Info: When it comes to replica 99-00 front lips, the OEM 99-00 front lip is the same as the Civic Type R, & the 99-00 EM1/SI coupe front lip. so... CTR = Si = OEM.
You can tell the difference between an OEM/CTR/SI front lip, & a replica version because the replica has more flare on the sides & extends further than the OEM/CTR/Si. It's obvious if you focus.

Same applies as mentioned above for the 96-98 replica lips purchases & quality.

Rear lips:
Info: There is a difference on rear bumpers between the years & models.
96-98 Coupes/Sedans share the same rear bumper
99-00 Coupes/Sedans share the same rear bumper
96-00 Hatchbacks share the same rear bumper

Mudguard options:
Front mudguards:
FOR COUPE = Any '96-'00 Civic mudguards will fit.
FOR HATCH = Any '96-'00 Civic mudguards will fit.
FOR SEDAN = Any '96-'00 Civic mudguards will fit.

Rear mudguards:
FOR '96-'98 COUPE = '96-'98 Civic coupe/sedan mudguards fit.
FOR '99-'00 COUPE = '99-'00 Civic coupe/sedan mudguards fit.
FOR '96-'00 HATCH = '96-'00 Civic hatch mudguards fit.
FOR '96-'98 SEDAN = '96-'98 Civic coupe/sedan mudguards fit.
FOR '99-'00 SEDAN = '99-'00 Civic coupe/sedan mudguards fit.

Rear RSX mudguards have been cut to fit rear bumpers with rear lips on hatchbacks.

Fog Lights options
96-98 Circle - 96-98 Square
99-00 Circle

DIY 96-98 Civic square fog light wiring tutorial
DIY 99-00 Civic Ebay Fog Light Wiring tutorial

Info: In the US, USDM (OEM) Fog-lights came in clear lenses. The OEM Brand for Honda fog-lights would be "Raybrig" or "Stanley". Another common brand is "Depo" which are replica aftermarket foglights. They tend to leak, & install/fitment won't be 100% as OEM, so be aware you get what you pay for. Esuse is another aftermarket brand, of higher quality than Depo though.
Also, for the 99-00's, the OEM ones came with (as mentioned before) clear Raybrig lights, & a gray cover like this. Often, you may see yellow lights & a black cover, as that's usually the "JDM" ebay/replica aftermarket version. P.S: PWJDM Lights are Depo brand, not OEM. This is because in Japan the 99-00 lights are yellow Stanley's from the factory. As an aesthetic option, you can always get clear foglights & tint them with yellow tint, if you decide to change your mind, you may remove the tint & go back to clear fogs.

Tail-light options:
They're separated into different categories as to what matches the body, the coupes & hatcbacks are interchangeable in all years. however the sedans have two different trunks depending on the year.
96-00 Coupes
96-98 OEM Amber - 99-00 OEM Non-Amber - 96-98 Red tint over amber - 99-00 Smoked over Clear

96-98 Sedans
info: (need clarification) 96-98 Red/Clear Depo's are replicas of the 96-98 Red/Clear JDM SiR/Honda Integra SJ
96-98 OEM Amber - 96-98 Red/Clear JDM SiR/Honda Integra SJ

99- 00 Sedans
info: 99-00 Red/Clear Depo's are replicas of the 99-00 Red/Clear Philippine SiR/Honda Integra SJ
99-00 OEM Amber - 99-00 Red/Clear Philippine SiR/Honda Integra SJ

96-00 Hatchbacks
96-98 OEM Amber - 99-00 OEM non-Amber - 96-00 Clear Hatchback Aftermarkets

Engine
A clean sweep for a first, WD40 and/or simple green/engine degreaser and a pressure washer or just simple a hose does a great job. Make sure you cover electrical components though.

If you have a D-series and want to modify the engine for power, but don't have at least $2,000 to spend, you should just give up and save up until then. Read this thread for more info:
Guide to Answer the Common Question: Just Bought a Civic! How Do I Make It Faster?

~$20 Valve Cover Painting
DIY

Suspension:
All that would be said here is if you go cheap, you get cheap. Suspension is crucial to your safety.
In most cases, when referring to Civics coilovers, the coilovers would be a whole aftermarket kit (shocks + springs combo [adjustable or not]), Shocks being just the shock absorbers, and springs/coil sleeves being the springs that are wound around the shock.
Lowering springs w/ stock shocks: Bump stops may need to be cut in half + dust boot (get alignment, shocks may blow)
Adjustable springs w/ stock shocks: Bump stops may need to be cut in half+ dust boot (get alignment, shocks may blow)

A great option to refer to is a rear sway bar, this reduces body roll and helps increase handling. If you feel like you're falling out of your seat in a deep turn, tires slipping, car feels like it's twisting, then get a stabilizer/sway bar and chances of that will decrease, I wish I had purchased a rear sway bar as my first mod.

EK Honda Civic Coilovers Install

The common answer to be the best bang for buck suspension setup,would definitely be Koni Yellow/Ground Control combo. More info here:
Need help choosing suspension? Click here!!

Wheels:
You have a many options as long as they fit your bolt pattern (commonly 4x100 unless a lug-conversion has been done)
OEM wheels, a replica knockoffwheel along the lines of (XXR. Drag. Rota etc;) or the more genuine brands such as Work, CCW, SSR, Mugen, Rays, Enkei, etc;.
14's seem to small, 17's are pushing it for the big side (the rice days are over)
Keep your range between 15 & 16 with good tires.

Inspirational / Picture Threads:
Show off your 6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)
** The offical 96-00 civic 4dr thread ** PART 2
***POST ALL SILVER EJ6, EJ8, & EM1 COUPE***
Calling all BLACK 96-00 Civic Coupes!
Post your rare 96-00 Civic parts
Post Up Your LCA's & Exhaust pics.
**The Official RAYS Volk Racing Wheel Thread**
**OFFICIAL ENKEI WHEELS THREAD (RPF1, 92, J-Speed, etc...)**
All Sportmax & XXR wheels, Post them here.
Post your CCW wheels
Low Offset Wheel Thread
Official Konig Wheel thread
-=Official SPRINT HART Wheels thread=-
♠ Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ♠
Post Your DIY Door Panel Inserts!!!
*!*!*Civic's w/ SiR bumper moldings*!*!*

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good info here :thumbs up

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome job getting all this together in a nice tidy post, funny I had originally put a led strip into my dome light and it was way better, but I just installed one of these 48 smd panels and its way brighter than my LEDs were

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow! A+ info

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not sure I'd classify Konig as replica wheel manufacturer. Agree with Rota and Drag, though. All in all, good thread. By the way, haven't had my 99 very long, but I thought the 94-01 teg seats would bolt right in. But your thread shows they need the EK rails? I haven't tested it myself, but the mounting points look very similar to the ones in my 92 EG

CO671

Registered VIP
not sure I'd classify Konig as replica wheel manufacturer. Agree with Rota and Drag, though. All in all, good thread. By the way, haven't had my 99 very long, but I thought the 94-01 teg seats would bolt right in. But your thread shows they need the EK rails? I haven't tested it myself, but the mounting points look very similar to the ones in my 92 EG

Good point, i don't think Konig is completely a knockoff but my first set of wheels for my Civic were Konig Heliums (Volk CE28 replicas) and man did they bruise easily from potholes, and have fake universal holes. I tried putting them on my 240sx because it looked like 4-uni but they were just decoration >_>

I'm not totally sure, but why not try it? It shouldn't be different, i just copied the info from that other DIY thread.
i mean they do sit similarly, unlike CRV seat rails that are 4 inches taller lol.

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
If you leave the teg rails on the teg seats only 3 of the 4 holes line up. (Inner rear side on each won't be long enough to reach the hole.) All you need to do is swap the inner rails (with the seat belt thing) from your ek seats and everthing will line up correctly

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure I'd classify Konig as replica wheel manufacturer.
Konig is a branch under Enkei...enkei is a widely used oem wheel manufacturer along with the rest of their aftermarket lineup. The Konig label just doesn't put out any of the higher end built wheels. Sort of a budget branch so to speak.
Good point, i don't think Konig is completely a knockoff but my first set of wheels for my Civic were Konig Heliums (Volk CE28 replicas) and man did they bruise easily from potholes, and have fake universal holes. I tried putting them on my 240sx because it looked like 4-uni but they were just decoration >_>
Heliums are not CE28 replicas, they are an original design with only light weight in mind and a cast production wheel...and I guess my Work CR01's are "fake" with universal holes since they have my lug pattern and 4 open holes that aren't used for mounting.

to add to your list of lip options, add mugen for 96-98, J's racing 96-98 and 99-00, first molding for 96-98 and 99-00, Jun, Vizage, live sports 96-98, Purple speed.

Also, Koni/GC coilover setups are actually on the cheap end for suspension. It's part of the reason it's recommended by many people. It's very fairly priced and reputable. High end custom suspensions for these cars are in the $1200+ range.

CO671

Registered VIP
Konig is a branch under Enkei...enkei is a widely used oem wheel manufacturer along with the rest of their aftermarket lineup. The Konig label just doesn't put out any of the higher end built wheels. Sort of a budget branch so to speak.
Heliums are not CE28 replicas, they are an original design with only light weight in mind and a cast production wheel...and I guess my Work CR01's are "fake" with universal holes since they have my lug pattern and 4 open holes that aren't used for mounting.
I never knew that, thanks for the info. I was greatly misinformed then.

to add to your list of lip options, add mugen for 96-98, J's racing 96-98 and 99-00, first molding for 96-98 and 99-00, Jun, Vizage, live sports 96-98, Purple speed.
Good points. First molding? SiR Bumper moldings?
I'm also going to add some bumpers too, BYS/Airwalker/Chargespeed, etc;. Honda Domani front end bolt-on conversions, etc; when I have the actual time though. Mention more!

Also, Koni/GC coilover setups are actually on the cheap end for suspension. It's part of the reason it's recommended by many people. It's very fairly priced and reputable. High end custom suspensions for these cars are in the $1200+ range.
Well, remember it's a Civic, most of us have Civic's because we can't afford much expensive cars in the first place, plus there's a well written suspension thread by Libertariat, although last time I talked to him he said that he wish he skipped the progress and went straight for Koni/GC for more adjustability.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2967499

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for the confirmation of the seat rails. And dude, those potholes must have been KILLER. I try to avoid as much as possible, but I've hit couple with my EGs Heliums over the years, and never had any issues. They definitely ARE on the less expensive end of wheels available, but are light for their size, and look pretty good IMO. Now that I've got my 99 Civic, have been browsing for some good looking (and light) 15x6.5 wheels. Been a LONG time since I've been wheel shopping, so suppose I should start picking up some recent car mags for ideas of what's available now.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice!

Let's direct the newbz here. ;)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First molding? SiR Bumper moldings?

Well, remember it's a Civic, most of us have Civic's because we can't afford much expensive cars in the first place
First molding is a company just like the others. It's not a body molding. First molding has all their carbon fiber made in the same place and same fashion as J's Racing.

And regarding the suspension, just because there may be a lot of people who can't afford really expensive mods, they still should at least know what to expect to pay in order to have a decent ride. Rather than having them settle for less, destroy their cars and then later spend the money of good parts and end up further out of pocket

CO671

Registered VIP
Added:
Taillights
Mudguards
Foglights
Rear Lips
Inspiration/picture threads

CO671

Registered VIP
Modified Cluster listing into a collage, added a few more clusters.
Note: Left column are MPH, Middle/Right columns are KmPH
Civic VTI Jordan were limited as only 500 were manufactured .

CO671

Registered VIP
Nice write up!
Thanks man, what's bugging me right now is that there's a character limit. I'm going to start having to find shortcuts once I add more info. That's what led me to making a cluster collage, might as well make Front lip collage next.

edit: made a photo-list of 96-98 front lips.