Featured Ride Contest #4

Who do you think should win our Featured Ride contest?

• civexspeedy

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • speedygonzales

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 99coup3

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • Ferio Vi-RS

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • 00_Civic_Si

Votes: 12 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Don't early congratulate anyone just yet. The voting will continue for a while.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe i should take a red sharpie to my taillights lol
if you like it leave it..dont change cause people dont like it..if i followed the opinion that people gave me i would've had a civic with an si lip, lowered on some polished rims with stretched out tires

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It was a toss up between 1 & 4 for me. I loved #1 for what it was being used for.. but IMO it's featured ride, not featured ride/ events. So I went with #4 because he's a swapped sedan like myself, and, other than the tail lights, I find it very well done! Impressive mod list too.

I gotta say though, I've only done autocross once, and I can't wait to do it again when it starts up in the spring!

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why do I keep seeing 2 different threads for this contest with different posts and different number of votes? Like this one I see 27 votes for my car but the other thread I sometimes open shows like 15 or something :what:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think the other thread is supposed to be a back-up. Justin was doing something on the site and told us to back-up important threads.

I'll see if I can find out.

edit - Yeah it's just an error. When it got copied, he thought it was going to just link to the original thread (this one). Instead, it kept separate. We'll tally the votes in both threads afterwards unless he can close that one without effecting this one.

Last edited:

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
speedy would of had my vote if actually spend some money getting Custom made stickers instead of using bumper stickers and placing them randomly. His exterior needed more thought and creativity. Altough the other contestants also falls short in some areas like bad taste in tail lights and leaving the rusty exhaust manifold exposed. Contest quality should be pushed up a notch or at least some how masked. Ferio still got my vote for having more nice modifications. Although not really liking the blind eye man rear taillights.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the other thread is supposed to be a back-up. Justin was doing something on the site and told us to back-up important threads.

I'll see if I can find out.

edit - Yeah it's just an error. When it got copied, he thought it was going to just link to the original thread (this one). Instead, it kept separate. We'll tally the votes in both threads afterwards unless he can close that one without effecting this one.
Ah I see. As long as when the threads/votes are combined there aren't any double votes.

speedy would of had my vote if actually spend some money getting Custom made stickers instead of using bumper stickers and placing them randomly. His exterior needed more thought and creativity. Altough the other contestants also falls short in some areas like bad taste in tail lights and leaving the rusty exhaust manifold exposed. Contest quality should be pushed up a notch or at least some how masked. Ferio still got my vote for having more nice modifications. Although not really liking the blind eye man rear taillights.
Um... Lets start from front to back...

The Hawk and Eibach decals are there from the parts I ordered. Don't know if you count that as buying them...

The "No Cones" decal I did buy and as a joke because that crack in my bump is from hitting double stacked frozen cones during a winter series event.

The SCCA decal on the drvier side of the hood is manditory per SCCA National rules. If I did not have that decal, my times would not count for National Tour's and Pro Solo events.

The Race Day Vinyl decal on the passenger side of the hood I recieved for free from my sponsor, RDV. He can get me custom made decals for free. Which he has. (see lower explanation about RDR decal amongst other)

The Tire Rack decal I was given for free by Tire Rack and they are manditory per SCCA National rules. If I did not have that decal, my times would not count for National Tour's and Pro Solo events.

The Piggy sticker on my windsheild and mirror cover were custom made by one of my sponsors, SSC Tint & Graphics. They were GIVEN to me by the owner who I race the '91 Si for. Guess you could call it a "team" thing for fun.

The 2 little decals on the bottom corner of my windshield are AutoX club decals that I run with. One was given to me for free, the other I bought to support my club.

The magnets on my front fenders are 1st place trophy magnets. I have dozens of them but just put those on for fun and people ask me about them all the time. I EARNED them, didn't buy them.

The SPD decal I was given for free in my support for the Sensory Processing Disorder events I've attended for a friend of mine. Just there to help spread awareness.

The other decals under the SPD decals are manditory per SCCA National rules. If I did not have that decal, my times would not count for National Tour's and Pro Solo events. Given to me for free and I have to have them.

The number and class are magnets, kind need them to race with.... Sure, I bought them.

The tiny little decal on my rear windows, which you probably can't see, is a track decal from Summit Points Jefferson Circuit that I've ran on a few times. Bought that one for fun.

The Ground Control decals on my rear quater panels I recieved with my GC's. Again, don't know if you count that as buying them...

The Karcepts decal is custom and I got it for free from my sponsor. No one else has that decal in that size.

The Rubber Duckie Racing decals under the Karcepts decals is custom made and I received them for free from my other sponsor, RDV.

The "I'd rather be Autocrossing" decal on my trunk I did buy and because I thought it was funny. And many others agree as they laugh and ask where I got it from.

The "Koni Improved" bubble sticker on my trunk is off of my old Neon ACR(which came with Koni's from the factory), I just took it off and put it on my car before I sold the Neon. Free...

The ones under my hood I did not buy, they came with the products. Again, don't know if you count that as buying them... They are under the hood which no one sees anyways so big deal...

Soooooo in actuality I've only really bought a couple of them. And I did put some thought into where these were located. They were not just slapped on there. How else do you want me to put them on my car? Cover my windsheild like all those idiot kids do with their drift cars? Atleast the majoirty of these decals have a meaning and purpose to them. The rest are there for fun. I love a nice, clean car/paint as much as the next guy. But, this car is almost 17 years old, original paint and never garaged. It's in pretty decent shape for that, but far from "show quality". I need some of those decals on the car, I like some of those decals, and I enjoy supporting my sponsors and for good reason. It's a love/hate as far as attention I get because of the decals. I love the looks/points I get from kids when driving around town, I hate the idiots who rev or try to race me when driving around.. Could I clean the car up a bit more? Sure, I could. Is it worth it to me to spend $2k+ on wheels on a $1500 Civic? No. I'm also very limited on mods on can do for my exterior/interior. Any exterior mod I do would only either add un-wanted weight or bump me out of my class. Any interior mod, like racing seats, would either be completely useless and/or a big waste of money. I have to balast racing seats to have a minimum weight of 25lbs for my class, which my stock seats are probably not much more. Spending $1000+ on seats for a couple pounds of weight savings and to "look good" is not in my best interest.

And as I said in a previous post regarding entrants for this contest, how many cars on this forum are really "top notch" quality? There wouldn't be much of a contest if we placed rules on how many mods or how much money you have in your car. Besides, the whole point of these contests is to promote member activity and get familiar with members cars. It's for fun. If member's cars were turned down for entry, I don't think they would be sticking around for very long.. Hell I remember entering my car YEARS ago on another forum when I had nothing more than just an exhaust, stereo, mostly stock suspension and freaking neons under my dash. I was proud of it and I still got votes against "better" cars. I'd be more likely to vote for "average" cars than your deep pocket shop car build. Just IMO.

95excommuter

5+ Year Member
I voted for civexspeedy, gotta support the 95 ex, plus its a B.A. ride, I would love to get my suspension half as good as that someday.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
civexspeedy is WIN. All function, no BS. Of course you got my vote =) Some people just do not understand and speak about what they do not know.

Good luck to everyone =) Its all about the fun and seeing what everyone is doing.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
@civexspeedy, just because you lost one vote doesnt mean you have to write an entire page to defend yourself, granted you are still going to win anyways.

I see this competition as a round project emphasizing on engine, suspension, interior, and exterior. i believe your exterior false short, I'm not saying its wack, but has the potential to be of greater quality.

I just have a different perspective, from a designer point of view (this is where my expertise is at), I believe one must consider color, placement, and hierarchy, along with a conceptual reason behind every sticker.

take this image as an example, or use it as a "Case Study"

Ignore the fact its a different type of car. 1. Notice the colors of all the stickers some how blend to the rest of the car. It creates a sense of uniformity. 2. Notice the placement of stickers, they are consistent, formal, and mathematical. 3. Notice the different scales of the stickers in order to draw attention and emphasize specific ones (hierarchy). Also notice that most stickers on this car are not "boxed" in, in other words they dont have a border, they are simply colored letters on the clean background color of the vehicle. So, bumper stickers may be custom made with no bacground color, and at different scales or you may actually cut out individual letters and logos from given bumper stickers and place them accordingly. this extra detail will improve 100x better the overall appearance dramatically.

I also want to point out if certain stickers need to be place in certain locations that these restrictions will actually make the end result look better if tackled in a creative way and solved with a specific design in mind.

9toes

5+ Year Member
Why Ferio Vi-RS isnt winning I have no clue his car build far surpases
the others, and I would much rather see his car in theopening home page
of club civic than any of the others.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
@civexspeedy, just because you lost one vote doesnt mean you have to write an entire page to defend yourself, granted you are still going to win anyways.

I see this competition as a round project emphasizing on engine, suspension, interior, and exterior. i believe your exterior false short, I'm not saying its wack, but has the potential to be of greater quality.

I just have a different perspective, from a designer point of view (this is where my expertise is at), I believe one must consider color, placement, and hierarchy, along with a conceptual reason behind every sticker.

take this image as an example, or use it as a "Case Study"

Ignore the fact its a different type of car. 1. Notice the colors of all the stickers some how blend to the rest of the car. It creates a sense of uniformity. 2. Notice the placement of stickers, they are consistent, formal, and mathematical. 3. Notice the different scales of the stickers in order to draw attention and emphasize specific ones (hierarchy). Also notice that most stickers on this car are not "boxed" in, in other words they dont have a border, they are simply colored letters on the clean background color of the vehicle. So, bumper stickers may be custom made with no bacground color, and at different scales or you may actually cut out individual letters and logos from given bumper stickers and place them accordingly. this extra detail will improve 100x better the overall appearance dramatically.

I also want to point out if certain stickers need to be place in certain locations that these restrictions will actually make the end result look better if tackled in a creative way and solved with a specific design in mind.
I don't mind the loss of a vote, this thing is for fun remember? And I wrote that long explanation out because you clearly had no understanding of why those decals are there or what they represent. I'm sure other members on the forum may be curious as to what they are as well.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any rules or guidelines set for who can enter the contest. If you want something so well rounded and don't see it, then why vote or criticize others rides? Doesn't get us anywhere.. Since you're not the only one who thinks this contest should be for those with deep pockets, why not make a thread to push for something like that? It's an open forum and I believe there's a suggestion box somewhere around here for stuff like that...

I understand my exterior is not of show quality or has been professionally designed and had custom decals made for everthing I decide to represent. IF I wanted that, I could easily do it. My sister has been a professional graphic designer for years and could easily design something nice and I have the connections to do full body custom vinyl wraps if I choose. For instance the '91 Si I race has a little more custom vinyl work and thought behind placement of decals.

Do I want this for my car? No. The only boxed in decals on my car are the ones on my door that I have no other choice but to use per SCCA Solo National Rules. They give me those decals, I have to put them on in a clearly visable location in order for my times to count. The "Tire Rack" logo has to be on the top of my windshield, per Tire Rack ans SCCA rules. I cannot modify them or print my own. Their rules, not mine. Go to any SCCA National Solo event and you'll find that just about every car there looks similar to mine. Why? Looks decent and gets the job done. Take a look for yourself: http://gotcone.com/pgallery/2011_scca_tirerack_solo_nationals/st/?plog_page=1

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thx for the link civexspeedy, I have looked over others cars and see that some people have actually thought about placement and symmetry. Some of those cars have place them in the right places and I think looks great! Most of them flow very well but at the same time few of them were placed awkwardly. You have to agree that some have place the decals better than others, and off the bat you know which ones look good.

the car you posted above looks tight! you chose that one because you know there is something about it that flows well! Its airy, meaning the decals are not cluttered, there is good line of sight connections (the stickers at the bottom all align as well as the one in the bumper!), and there is good symmetry, (with the custom stickers and as seen on the decals above the headlights, both are solid stickers that contrast the color of the car and are of similar dimension).

I don't want to knit pick your car but take a second look. And if your sister is a graphic designer, if I were you, I would use that resource and together you could come of with something memorable.

...and for the record, I dont believe the winner of this contest should be for people with deep pockets. Everyone has there own way of fixing up a car and some people may execute it in a money efficient and creative way.

Also, when there is a competition, the "judges" have to criticize every contestant and together they decide which contestant is the winner considering all the pros and cons. this is done for EVERY COMPETITION. And for this contest the Forum is the judges, I am part of the forum and so is everyone else. As a matter of fact, I dont think the contestants should have ANY say or have the right to DEFEND there own projects. When I submit my own projects, I dont attach a letter explaining my project, its up to the judges to decide, BASED on what they see and read. As i mention before, we are to judge, the interior, suspension, engine, and exterior. those are the components, why else would we have you write down what modifications for each of these categories. My critique is with your exterior and how it falls short, I even gave you some constructive feedback and its up to you to take it or leave it, for that i dont care. I did my part and I did my vote.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I can't believe you are really trying to give him on advice on placing stickers. Makes me want to do the sparta kick lol. Their is always the one person who will argue with everything i suppose. Hey atleast be glad he wasn't giving you "constructive feedback" on anything else.

Ferio Vi-RS

I Heart BoA!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
holla it's still voting time! where's the rest of the members! and can i add recently updated pix since the ones that are up are hella blurry?

95eggsr

quad box
still not sure how a stock eg coupe with a bolton single cam and full suspension with stickers galore wins this

what ever floats your guys boat i guess

the green 4 door got my vote, its actually got some balls behind it with some time and effort

Status
Not open for further replies.