Few questions/advice wanted

Tamerin

Instead of creating multiple posts, figured I could just post here:

First, just got my Valves Adjusted and Belt fixed, so my car is sounding like a champ right now =)

1) For some reason, my carbon fiber hood looks like utter $h*t. No idea why, and I think it's cause I accidently cleaned it with a clear-coat I put on the Civic to prevent dust build up. Either way, any suggestions to bring back that glossy look? Like a specific brand?

2) When I had my old '03 Civic, I use NKG Plat. Plugs. I've been thinking of changing my current one's out, they look a little worn down so meh, why not get em done. Should I use the same? or since my car has a S/C should I use something better?

3) When I got my car back, the shop said my oil was a little low and pressure was kinda down. They didn't go into it, as I already paid 4 hours of work for them to fix my Valves and Cat. Converter. Is there a way I can check this our myself without having to pay $70 a hour for a shop to do it? Guessing I can do a pressure check on each cylinder, just wondering if there is anything else I should check.

4) My Cruise Control don't work. Someone said vacuum tubes, check em. Where the hell can I find those? I've scavenged by User manual and inside of my engine bay. New to electrical stuff, so idea's? I drive a lot of highways, so I'd love my cruise control back >.>

5) Power locks don't work. Odd thing is: I use my clicker, I can hear the rear hatch ATTEMPT to unlock, but nothing. When I use the door switch, again I hear the hatch attempt to unlock but nothing. It looked like my car might have had a Viper Unit installed, I have the control for the unit and attempted to reset the thing but nada. Dunno. Should I check this myself or bring it to a shop to check out for me? Rather do it myself, just need some advice for this one.

Thanks!

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Instead of creating multiple posts, figured I could just post here:

First, just got my Valves Adjusted and Belt fixed, so my car is sounding like a champ right now =)

1) For some reason, my carbon fiber hood looks like utter $h*t. No idea why, and I think it's cause I accidently cleaned it with a clear-coat I put on the Civic to prevent dust build up. Either way, any suggestions to bring back that glossy look? Like a specific brand?

2) When I had my old '03 Civic, I use NKG Plat. Plugs. I've been thinking of changing my current one's out, they look a little worn down so meh, why not get em done. Should I use the same? or since my car has a S/C should I use something better?

3) When I got my car back, the shop said my oil was a little low and pressure was kinda down. They didn't go into it, as I already paid 4 hours of work for them to fix my Valves and Cat. Converter. Is there a way I can check this our myself without having to pay $70 a hour for a shop to do it? Guessing I can do a pressure check on each cylinder, just wondering if there is anything else I should check.

4) My Cruise Control don't work. Someone said vacuum tubes, check em. Where the hell can I find those? I've scavenged by User manual and inside of my engine bay. New to electrical stuff, so idea's? I drive a lot of highways, so I'd love my cruise control back >.>

5) Power locks don't work. Odd thing is: I use my clicker, I can hear the rear hatch ATTEMPT to unlock, but nothing. When I use the door switch, again I hear the hatch attempt to unlock but nothing. It looked like my car might have had a Viper Unit installed, I have the control for the unit and attempted to reset the thing but nada. Dunno. Should I check this myself or bring it to a shop to check out for me? Rather do it myself, just need some advice for this one.

Thanks!
1) possibly a wet sand, or take to a body shop for then to clear coat.

2) doesn't ever hurt to get better plugs and even wires

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877300,-99.509375

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i don't understand you accidentally cleaned it with a clear coat ??????. carbon fiber hoods use a gel coat clear which is extremely porous so it can flex so things like carnauba wax can be absorbed into the pores making it cloudy and hazy over time. i would purchase a orbital buffer harbor freight has them for 30 bucks then get some meguiars ultimate compound and have at it theres DIYs on youtube for proper use of the buffer.

Tamerin

Lowlife, you're telling me. First time having a Carbon Fiber hood, and I didn't look it up before cleaning it. Some friends pointed out exactly what you said as well, just wanted to see what others had to say. I might just do that this weekend, thanks.

As for the plugs Spencer, yeah always nice. Just wondering if the stock would be best or if there are other plugs I might want to look into. I don't care about longivity of the plugs, as long as they give a strong spark each rotation. I'll take a look and get those purchased this weekend.

Anyone have any advice for the Cruise Control or Power Locks?

Cobl18

Registered VIP
it really doesn't matter what plug you get from ngk, you can pay 2 dollars a plug or a 10 dollars a plug and not feel a HP gain. You should look and see what the car says you should get and get them, unless your S/C requires a specific plug that must be used for some reason.

Tamerin

Thanks Cob, don't care about HP gains my S/C gives me plenty. I was more worried about efficiency, such as cheaper plugs misfire more often and thus cause flooding and additonal carbon build-up. I know Plats have a more efficient spark ratio, so I will just go with those and are OEM for the car anyways. It's been awhile since I've dealt with performance vehicles, I had a truck before this one. For all I knew, they had Triple Plated Gold or some BS that I should have gotten.

emerican

Registered VIP
buffer the cf hood
Ngk platniums will do just fine for plugs, ngk blues for the wires
Have you checked the actual cruise control button does it work?

Tamerin

Emerican,

Yup. Checked the fuses under the hood, and the SRS and Auto fuses are good. Hell, I even replaced them with brand new fuses, and nada. The Cruise Control button pushes in, light comes on, and nothing at the steering wheel at all. I tested it on the highway like over 50 different speeds, just seeing if maybe it's just not setting at the right speed or something. Nothing.

Now I've read to check the Vacuum tube for Cruise Control. I have NO idea where or what that looks like. And also buppers on the gas pedal/clutch. Any idea about that too? lol

Maybe just say screw it, and get an aftermarket steering wheel for show and call it a day? lol

emerican

Registered VIP
The buppers are usally pretty easy to check, but if the light is coming in and it just isnt engaging theres a good chance that they arent the problem. I have never messed with cruise control on a civic so not really sure.
I would check them just to be certain anyway

Tamerin

Aight, thanks. Heading home now, so I'll take a look. Anything in particular I should check for? Like if they are loose? Or just simply missing or something? lol