Fill Radiator with Antifreeze, Drive 5 miles and Car Overheats, Radiator almost empty, P-1457

Duane Beach-Barrow

My 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe with 168,000 miles, has me baffled! I usually run 100% Antifreeze in the engine because I live in the desert. Car ran hot on the freeway, I refilled it with Antifreeze, and it kept running hot, even on short trips & not going over 40 mph. I turned the heater on, sometimes it blows hot, but sometimes blows cold. If I turn on the AC so the fans behind the radiator come on, that helps a little. But it will still run hot on a trip more than 5 miles and going under 40 MPH. I have replaced the Thermostat, Thermostat Housing and the Sensor that goes into the Thermostat, an adjacent sensor in the top of the engine next to the valve life cover. I also replaced the two relays and 4 fuses that control this part of the car and the gas cap. I took it to both AutoZone and O'Reilly and they put it on their computer. I got a P1457 Error Code {EVAP System Leak Detected (Canister Area)}, and a P1361 Error Code (TDC Sensor 1 Noise). All of the hoses are intact, I flushed the Radiator when I replaced the Thermostat. Before I spend $200 for parts and labor, is this the real cause of my car overheating?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
P1457 - Fuel cap is most likely the issue for Evap leak. Or a hose has come loose from the charcoal canister or check valve failed.
P1361 - possibly a bad TDC sensor or the circuit has an open (faulty break in the wire, creating and open circuit).

As for the car overheating, from what you have said, you have effectively replaced everything except the water pump and radiator. I am going to assume the radiator is not clogged with crap. Hopefully you have never poured anything but antifreeze and water mix into the radiator. NEVER use products that claim to seal head gasket leaks (unless you plan to trash the car soon). The material used to seal these issues causes radiators to clog, typically the heater core will clog before the radiator and you never feel and heat come out the vents or poor heat.

I think the issue is possibly your water pump. If the pump has failed, say the impeller somehow came lose from teh shaft, the shaft wont turn the impeller and you will not have water pressure. No water pressure means the water is not flowing properly and heat transfer will not be efficient.

As for your antifreeze mix, ALWAYS ensure you have water included with your antifreeze. Water is the product that actually transfers the most heat. The antifreeze product (glycol) is there to raise the boiling point and lower the freezing point of the water. The antifreeze agent is not necessarily the cooling agent. The glycol also acts as a lubricant for the water pump.

Blues_hawk

My 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe with 168,000 miles, has me baffled! I usually run 100% Antifreeze in the engine because I live in the desert. Car ran hot on the freeway, I refilled it with Antifreeze, and it kept running hot, even on short trips & not going over 40 mph. I turned the heater on, sometimes it blows hot, but sometimes blows cold. If I turn on the AC so the fans behind the radiator come on, that helps a little. But it will still run hot on a trip more than 5 miles and going under 40 MPH. I have replaced the Thermostat, Thermostat Housing and the Sensor that goes into the Thermostat, an adjacent sensor in the top of the engine next to the valve life cover. I also replaced the two relays and 4 fuses that control this part of the car and the gas cap. I took it to both AutoZone and O'Reilly and they put it on their computer. I got a P1457 Error Code {EVAP System Leak Detected (Canister Area)}, and a P1361 Error Code (TDC Sensor 1 Noise). All of the hoses are intact, I flushed the Radiator when I replaced the Thermostat. Before I spend $200 for parts and labor, is this the real cause of my car overheating?
If it overheats when it still has water skip to water pump.

I have 2 of these little monsters, a 2005 vp(d17a1) and a 2003 EX(d17a2-vtec). If you see spots on the engine and the overflow reservior is full to the top when this happens it might be the gasket leaking on the egr/thermostat side cover on the head. This part sometimes comes loose and leaks exhaust gas into the jacket over pressuring it and causing all the antifreeze to be ejected. The housing is supposed to have a crush type gasket, and had no torque specs in the original shop manual. It has been reported as a headgasket on many forums but in more recent years has been found to be this most often and those folks fixed it without realizing they could have skipped a ton of work.(see my schematic in 7thgenhonda forums(I can't do links yet on this one.) Worth a try before a bigger teardown imo. For a quick check just pull the snorkel box and see if the lower back bolt on that housing is loose like mine was.

Or the waterpump/timing belt job. Beware the legendary bedded crank bolt of shame on the harmonic balancer. I recommend buying the tool and an extra socket and borrow your worst enemies breaker bar before lowering the car onto two of them.

Lastly... If you have oil in the water and or white smoke and water out the exhaust it's a blown head gasket. Replace all of the above, including that side cover gasket. There's a kit for each job(hg,pump/timing belt), and you will need both as well as that crank holding tool and a front main seal - make sure it fits tight.

Good luck! =)