Finally put my suspension on...

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
You do need coilovers to adjust the height of the suspension. The KYB shocks are also adjustable for firmness. And lowering it more than 1.5" voids the KYB warranty (I'm pretty sure) not your cars.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh ok...yea, I don't want to lower it more than 1.5" to avoid tire rubbing.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's what you're afraid of? i lower my car 2+ inches and my rubbing problem is minimal. all i had to do is get a good alignment done and roll the fenders. that whole lowering it more then 1.5" avoid tire rubbing is all wrong. it depends how you set up your car.

and do you really need coilovers? i mean yeah you live in NY but are you going to raise the car up for winter? if not dont waste your money on coilovers sleeves. you dont know what you're getting into and it will save you a lot of headaches. everytime you raise or lower your car you will need to do an alignment to fix the camber and maybe toe.

if you going to go with kyb which are pretty cheap quality shocks but good enough for the buck, then just go with something soft. my recommendation would be something like eibach pro-kit or h&r sport springs. and depending on the alignment you will see if you need camber kits or not.

the offset of the wheels make a lot of difference on if you're going to rub or not. tire size have something to do with it too. the bigger the tire the more you are to rubbing. and rubbing is not as bad as you think. so what if you rub?

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
I used to have eibach pro-kits on my car with stock shocks and didn't need a camber kit. The ride quality was close to stock, but the back end sagged. So I decided to get gc with konis so that I could lower exactly how low I wanted it and made sure the front sat alittle lower than the back. I already have changed the height of it like 3 times, and getting an alignment each time does suck. If anyone needs any pics of what pro-kits look like installed drop wise, let me know.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
pro-kit suppose to have the rear lower. that's how they make the springs. the springs are progressive so that as the rear gets more weight (ie: people sitting in the back) the springs get stiffer.

but if you get koni shocks, the adjustment on the koni itself should be enough of a height adjustment. i dont see why someone have to lower it more drastic then that unless you're going for show or something.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After having a lengthy aim convo w/ imazn I've now decided to get Ground Controls and Bilstein shocks. Imazn sounds like a person who knows what they're talking about and I trust his judgement. This setup will only cost me $56 more than the GC and KYB. The only drawback to the Bilstein is the $40 charge for four adapters. Oh well, it'll still be worth it.

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
goodluck man. remember to get an alignment after!

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where can i get cheap priced shocks like that... im looking into tockico(sp) illumna's and they're like 250 cdn a piece....

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imazn-- :thumbs up:

position..eh--check out Ground Controls website and click on "HONDA":

http://www.ground-control.com

knockoff

you can call me ABE
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Originally posted by "civicjoe8"

imazn-- :thumbs up:

position..eh--check out Ground Controls website and click on "HONDA":

http://www.ground-control.com
will the tokico's work with my dropzone coilovers???

imazn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah but what's the spring rate of those?