finished my buddys lsvtec but the motor dies when he steps on the gas!

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK this has been a long adventure and i want it to be over! my buddy bought an lsvtec turbo motor from this guy locally. he didn't want to spend the money on getting new parts such as a tensionor and water pump so he put all that together. we got the motor in the car, did a lot of work to get it in and all! so finally we got everything in and everything running, went to start the car and boom it started on the first shot i was happy! when he stepped on the gas my smile turned upside down! he stepped on the gas and it almost shut off, he let go and it went back to idle, stepped on it and almost died again. cel is on but the only code we got was the second o2 sensor we forgot to plug it in. What else can it be? i think it is the timing from the timing belt but those damn aem gears are kind of hard to read. so i want to know if anyone can snap a pic for me of there aem cam gears at tdc for me so i can check that also! thanks guys

Jspec Ej6

Sam
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what about the distributor?? :what:

Slick_99

RIP 99'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jspec Ej6 said:
what about the distributor?? :what:
Don't think is would be the dizzy if the car starts, but Im no mechanic and I could be wrong.

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the dizzy is good i got us a new wiring harness from a 99si and everything plugged right in! we changed the ecu just for the hell of it and we started it and it started right up, but it went up and down with the idle over and over again! but what i was thinking is when i changed my rad in my ls it did that also but as the motor got to op temp and the rad was full and stuff it went away i am going to try that and see what happened!

Slick_99

RIP 99'
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any you have no other CELs besides the O2 sensor you forgot to connect?

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
intake mani sensor clips are identical, if you switched them by accident that is exactly what happens. good luck

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bcivichb said:
intake mani sensor clips are identical, if you switched them by accident that is exactly what happens. good luck
werd, appened to my buddy. try switching them and see what happens. if not, its gotta be timing.

civiclxb16a

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok got to work on the motor today and i checked the cels and i have two cel to take care of one is code 14 which is IAC and the other is code 22 vtec oil pressure. now what do i got to do to take care of that code 14 code 22 i know what to do with that let me know what you guys got for me!

vampiremaknel

5+ Year Member
maybe the sensor on the throttle body... that was messed up on mine, and when u floor it... it just dies.. and u let go and it idles... but if u step on the gas slowly and pick up speed slowly.. it works all the way.. as long as u dont floor it... it runs.. then it is the throotle body speed sensor.. atleast on mine it was...