Firefox > Opera 9 Beta

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, for a while, I was using Opera 9b .... and it became completely unstable. If I left it open overnight, and my computer went into hibernation, it would lock up. I'd have to close it. It began to slow down when open for long periods of time, and sometimes would freeze for no apparent reason. Also, certain sites, images, and pages (particulary image hosting) would fail to load, or f**k up all the time. The only problem was, I loved how Opera was set up. Then, I found a solution:

Firefox Add-Ons :D

All-In-One Sidebar: http://firefox.exxile.net/index.php - Opera-style sidebar

Adblock Plus: http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/ - A really good popup/advert blocker

Fasterfox: http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/ - A customizable network/cache/preloader tweak.

Gmail Space: http://www.rjonna.com/ext/gspace.php - Allows you to use your 2GB GMail as web storage.

ImageBot: http://pimpsofpain.com/imagebot.html - Imageshack + Photobucket stand-alone. Archives your uploaded photos, and allows you to upload in the background without visiting a site.

PDF Download: http://www.pdfdownload.org/ - Allows you several options when clicking on PDF files other than loading them in your browser window.

GMail Notifier: http://www.nexgenmedia.net/extensions/ - Notifies you when you get a GMail *durp*

Firefox is running faster than Opera ever has on my computer, and is 10x more stable. All my pages load fine, and it hasn't crashed once. The sidebar is great, and works flawlessly. I reccomend this route over Opera to anyone who's had problems, or is just plain stuck to Firefox already :thumbs up

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
At least I kept Firefox the entire time. :P My computer would have died. :shock:

I do still wonder what's up with my computer randomly deciding it's going to restart without any warning though. That didn't seem to come with Firefox though. It came after you did something.. but I can't remember what the change was now.

DC_Project

I NEED A CAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how do you like your mac? im going to get a laptop soon and have been looking at the new powerbook but Ive only used WIndows 95/98/XP

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't have a mac. I skin windows.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
firefox FTW!!!! i've tried opera a few times usualyl for a few months,. but always switch back to FF, I also use Thunderbird for email... Thunderbird>outlook

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i tried opera for a while too BUT did the exact same thing your talking about, so glad i left mozilla on here though

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Error404 said:
I love Opera.
That was .... helpful.

I love opera's features, but the reliability was just sub-par to what I'd expect from a browser of it's age. Also, the slowdown was unacceptable.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
meh, I switch back and forth between the two but most of the time I prefer Opera.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmm.. I always used Opera because I liked how it was set up too..... but now that you hooked me up with that stuff, looks like I'm going to have to switch to firefox.

I was having the same exact problems you were describing

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
IE and AOL tore my computer up. Firefox and comcast highspeed has been a miracle. lol. I love firefox!!

edit: also what exactly is the fasterfox?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just downloaded firefox, but it won't connect to any web pages. I think it might be windows permissions that are blocking it, but I'm not sure. If so, does anybody know how to change it so that firefox is allowed to connect to the internet? If not, any clue what's wrong?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SCCRules said:
IE and AOL tore my computer up. Firefox and comcast highspeed has been a miracle. lol. I love firefox!!

edit: also what exactly is the fasterfox?
Fasterfox - performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

* Prefetch Links
Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with Fasterfox's unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

* Tweak Network
Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

* Page Load Timer
A millisecond accurate page load timer tests the effectiveness of your settings.

* Block Popups
A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds pretty good then... i might have to try it out. thanks man.

Akuma

VSM Beeyotch!!!11
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn i thought everyone'd be using firefox by now... it's soooooo much better than ie
and Jason's right, Firefox has some bitchin extensions...

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
That was .... helpful.

I love opera's features, but the reliability was just sub-par to what I'd expect from a browser of it's age. Also, the slowdown was unacceptable.
I've never had a problem with it's reliability :what: .. It's always been stable.. Slowdown? I never noticed a slowdown lol

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Error404 said:
I've never had a problem with it's reliability :what: .. It's always been stable.. Slowdown? I never noticed a slowdown lol
If I was the only one with the problem, I'd blame my computer :lol:

But apparently, some others notice it too. Maybe you're lucky, or maybe you're using a stable 8.xx build. :what:

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only slowdown I've noticed is when I am initially connecting to a web page it takes a bit for it to get started.... Afterwards, however, its smooth sailing....

And I am far too lazy to change now.... :lol:

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i noticed the same thing when i use opera....i mean, ive heard all the good things about it, and i DO like all the options, and how its set up....but for some reason, at least on MY computer, its not as fast as how everyone else is saying it will be....

so if i download firefox, can i import my favorites list from opera? or would i have to add them all from scratch....

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^

Yes you can :thumbs up