First real mod: RPM/EX/Tach cluster swap

PHAHEEM

Pretty excited about my latest mod...tracked down a working EX cluster to put into my DX. And also swapped back in my original odometer to keep my original [low] miles. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner! Best $60 I've spent.

Next few days:
LED bulbs in cluster and climate control
New head unit to be installed where the OEM tape deck is (keeping OEM radio in its place)

Before:

During:

After:

Next:

Last edited:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice pick up. I might skip the LEDs if I were you though, they are too bright so they don't look even and create hot spots.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not bad man, pics of the car would be nice...

PHAHEEM

Nice pick up. I might skip the LEDs if I were you though, they are too bright so they don't look even and create hot spots.
I've read up on it and apparently the dimmer still works and you can dim the LEDs. Worth a try since ill be taking apart the ash anyway

The day I bought it...

After my Si wheels...

Excuse the blurry pics...I'll get some better ones after my installs this weekend

cuetip

Registered VIP
nice i need one in my DX, but im planning on trying to find an SI cluster

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
Looks good man. I did the same thing right when I got my car. Now I have an si cluster coming in to replace the ex one now.

CO671

Registered VIP
Eyy! I got my CRV cluster for $60, and have SI wheels as well. Nice!!
Now go do an Integra shifter (& weighted shift knob), integra map-light DIY as well!!
Good choice!

PHAHEEM

I'm really trying to find an EX/LX armrest, but they're so hard to find in good condition.

I like both the CRV and Si clusters, but my problem with those is that I'd lose my original mileage...and being that my miles re low I didn't want to mess that up. Also, I read somewhere that the Si tach doesn't properly match our cars?

I'm even considering doing the 99-00 conversion on the front...but I want to keep this as original and OEM as possible.

What else have you guys done to your cars? The integra map light DIY sounds interesting...

CO671

Registered VIP
I've been looking for the armrest too, check the classifieds, or Honda tech marketplace, or Craig list, better if you post a wtb thread. You can try to check some online oem dealers if they still sell armrests but it might be like $70-$130+ or all discontinued.

Do what you like, personally I'd keep my front end as is unless it's a Domani, Gemini, or 1.6 Acura el (canadian) swap.
Grab a CTR or SiR lip for your Civic! Replica is fine check out ebay.

For the map light here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1721535

minja lover

del slo
5+ Year Member
I'm really trying to find an EX/LX armrest, but they're so hard to find in good condition.

I like both the CRV and Si clusters, but my problem with those is that I'd lose my original mileage...and being that my miles re low I didn't want to mess that up. Also, I read somewhere that the Si tach doesn't properly match our cars?

I'm even considering doing the 99-00 conversion on the front...but I want to keep this as original and OEM as possible.

What else have you guys done to your cars? The integra map light DIY sounds interesting...
The si tach goes 1k more than the others. Just don't shift that high then.

try out CL for the arm rest. There are always good ones around me but are gone by the time I see the ad.

PHAHEEM

I've been looking for the armrest too, check the classifieds, or Honda tech marketplace, or Craig list, better if you post a wtb thread. You can try to check some online oem dealers if they still sell armrests but it might be like $70-$130+ or all discontinued.

Do what you like, personally I'd keep my front end as is unless it's a Domani, Gemini, or 1.6 Acura el (canadian) swap.
Grab a CTR or SiR lip for your Civic! Replica is fine check out ebay.

For the map light here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1721535
Thanks!

CO671

Registered VIP
How hard was this? And what all clusters will fit?
Very simple, easiest mod. It's all plug&play no modification unless you want to swap over your odometer (mileage) which again is only 4 screws

2 screws on the dashboard trim/bezel or whichever it's called.
Remove that black piece
4 screws on the cluster
3-5 clips from the wiring harness in the dashboard connected to the cluster
(2 blue, 1 yellow, optional: 1 orange, 1 green)

1997-2001 CRV all trims (LX/EX)
1996-2000 Civic all trims (CX/DX/EX/LX/HX/SI/SIR/Type R/VTI/Jordan VTI basically everything)
Canadian Acura 1.6 EL Cluster
Honda Orthia, Integra SJ I believe too but those are too rare to even matter.

You can swap in s2000, Integra, and 7th gen Civic clusters as well as many others, but those require fabrication and re-wiring.
Integra: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1053318
7th Gen Civic: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=41431594
7th Gen Civic (2): http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=195635
S2000: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/116739-diy-s2000-cluster-ek-ej-including-bezel.html

exodus_gs1

O ok, cool thanks, and thee tach will work even tho mine doesn't have one... Thats my biggest thing. Yea newb to Hondas, so thanks for the help

CO671

Registered VIP
O ok, cool thanks, and thee tach will work even tho mine doesn't have one... Thats my biggest thing. Yea newb to Hondas, so thanks for the help
Yeah it will work if you install one. The sensor and wires are in the vehicle already, just need to connect it to a cluster with a tachometer. or an aftermarket tach... which is kinda ugly.

exodus_gs1

O ok, and couldn't agree more. Its my daily and dont wanna "rice" it out or make people think I want to race. I have a Camaro for that haha. But thanks for the help man