First time at the drags

92lseg

Ill be taking my EG hatch to the strip this weekend for some fun runs.

I have a b18b swap
Falken ziex tires
Neuspeed sport springs

Stock otherwise

Any tips or tricks?
My buddies taking his h swapped accord( bolt-ins and cams) .. Do I stand a chance haha??

92lseg

That's the plan =)

Be cool to see what I can do now, vs after I start mods =)

Was just curios on good ways to launch and what not

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Keep your eye on the tree. Keep spinning to a minimum. Spinning is fun but traction is key.

92lseg

Is it going to be beneficial to try and "launch" at a higher rpm? Or on street tires is it better just to take off like normal to avoid spinning or hopping

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
What ever you can do to best avoid spinning. Get damn near there, but don't break them lose for any extended period of time. Post up your times when you get back!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you running a quarter mile or an eighth?

Thatdumbhbguy

You'll grip just fine I'm betting. There usually a lot of rubber on starting lines, just don't get to excited and red light

92lseg

You'll grip just fine I'm betting. There usually a lot of rubber on starting lines, just don't get to excited and red light
The track has a rep for being exceptionally sticky

Speed factory has set quite a few of there records here in there race cars..

I'm just not sure if I should try to launch at 3k or what would give me a good launch outta the hole.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
3k is too low. On a stock motor b18c1 with an intake in an Integra on street tires, I was launching at 4800 to 5k - ran 14.81 my third time out. You need some wheel spin or it will bog and kill your 60' time.

Drop tire pressures to 20 psi or less

Dry burnout

Launch at 4500 and make adjustment

Watch your 60' times. You should be around 2.3-2.4 I would figure. I got a couple down to 2.1, but it was really good weather. Go around and talk to people on the larger teams, don't listen to that kid in front of you in line, most the time the give terrible advice. Within half a day of me coaching my friend, he went from 14.2 to 13.7

92lseg

I'm running an ls motor, so launching at 5k only gives me 2000rpms before I need to shift..
I didn't know people did burnouts on street tires I thought that was only for guys running slicks..

How does one do a burnout in a fwd? I can't powerbrake it like I could my truck.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
When you launch at 5k'ish, you're not going to hook at 5k because we don't have the torque to carry us. Try 4,500 and keep bumping it up if you feel necessary.
For a dry burnout on street tires just reverse back to where your back tires are close to the water pit, redline it, and dump the clutch. You need to get the tires clean and up to temp a bit for them to actually be sticky. If you think you don't need to dry burnout on street tires, look at your tires after a run, all the rocks and debris and s*** that gets stuck f***s up a launch.

Dry burnout

[YOUTUBE="."]ul1ARjnNv08[/YOUTUBE]

Thatdumbhbguy

No doubt u will want to give more than u ever would on the streets, as far as , it grips way more than u could feel anywhere else that's not a strip. But its gonna depend on track conditions too.. maybe hot day, its gonna hook up way different than the same day towards sunset. But just do it! Evevn if u can smoke ur tires threw third gear with no problem on asphalt, chances are u wont threw second on a track if u tried. But I'd say give it all u can the first try and if it was more than u needed of the line then back it off a bit... Nothing will feel worse than bogging out on the start, unless u blow a motor or something, but ya man u will b just fine!!

92lseg

My axles/ motor are in good shape so ill give her hell outta the gate =) I'd rather spin then bog haha

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
That's the spirit!! Don't be afraid to break s**t, and if you are, don't expect to be quick compared to other cars with similar mods and a driver that knows what he's doing and doesn't give a s**t :thumbs up

92lseg

Breaking s**t just gives me a reason to upgrade lol =)

I'm sure stock b axles will handle stock LS lol.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
Street tires break axles, I would have a spare set. We always bring a few for the team. When you're searching for your tire pressure, just remember if the wheels are hopping, you're probably too high. Really focus on your 1st trap, 60 foot time; the rest doesn't matter for the most part; just shift swiftly and smoothly. I really miss drag racing, I enjoyed it a lot