[FIXED] LED Light Mods - 1998 Honda Civic EX (K Series) 6th Generation [SOLVED]

Hey Guys,

This buy guide and install guide will help you MOD your instrument cluster, your internal lights, and your external lights from halogen to LED!

Instrument Cluster

Bulb Name/Type
LED Light Photo
Halogen Light Photo
T10 (Large) 31373 31378
T5/6.5 (Medium) 31374 31377
T5 (Small) 31375 31376

!!! Where to buy T10, T5/6.5, and T5 LED bulbs !!!
  1. T10 = Amazon AUXITO LED
  2. T5/6.5 = Amazon DODOFUN LED
  3. T5 = Amazon WLJH LED
---
(Old Post Below)

Hey guys,

I have a problem going on right now with my K series 1998 Honda Civic EX (see questions below):

I installed LED lights for all turn signals, brake lights, headlights, etc.

But, the LED for the brake lights won't work. I pull the light in and out and sometimes they turn on.

I've already tried:
  1. Moving the copper pins on the female plugs to make sure they are hitting the male pins.
  2. Moving the male pins to make sure they are hitting the female pins.
Any ideas? Or other LED lights that have worked?

Thanks so much!

Here are the original Halogens (Bulb Number: 7440):
31354 31355

Here are the LED lights I'm trying to use (Bulb Number: 7440):

31356 31357

31358 31359

Last edited:
!!! UPDATE !!!

I found the following for bulbs:

Going to order better quality LEDs for the 7440/7443 because I think the problem is that the bulbs I ordered are just poor quality and the male wiring is really bad quality so a connection isn't being made.

Will post when I have an update!

Going to order these:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You are most likely going to need to wire in the resistors as well. Otherwise your turn signals are going to flash incredibly fast.

You are most likely going to need to wire in the resistors as well. Otherwise your turn signals are going to flash incredibly fast.
Resistors are ordered! =)

Also, anybody know anything about why my instrument cluster is lighting up like a Christmas tree after trying to add these new LEDs?

Instrument cluster was actually turning on and off with the left signal...

I'll update as soon as I have a solution.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere.

The LED's require significantly less power than the standard bulbs and any bad ground or short in the electrical that is associated with your lights may cause other lights to act weird.

Pull the fuse for each system one by one while the lights are acting crazy. If they stop acting crazy when you pull a certain fuse, then you have isolated with the bad ground or short is. Shorts normally will cause the fuse to pop, but a ground may not and allow power to flow in reverse into some systems. This can cuase damage to but if the voltage is low enough it can simply cause squirrely things to happen.

Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere.

The LED's require significantly less power than the standard bulbs and any bad ground or short in the electrical that is associated with your lights may cause other lights to act weird.

Pull the fuse for each system one by one while the lights are acting crazy. If they stop acting crazy when you pull a certain fuse, then you have isolated with the bad ground or short is. Shorts normally will cause the fuse to pop, but a ground may not and allow power to flow in reverse into some systems. This can cuase damage to but if the voltage is low enough it can simply cause squirrely things to happen.
Copy that!

Makes sense because every once in a while I'll get shocked by the driver side door when I close it.

Thank you for the tips on the bad ground isolation using the fuse box.

I just ordered a bunch of new fuses too so going to change them all out! =)

|-| 0 |\| D /-\ "4" |_ I FE