forced induction

vtecexcivic

5+ Year Member
i'm wanting to do what most civic owners don't do and keep my factory D series motor and build it up. with that said, i'm interested in a supercharger. would buying one be a wise choice since it's a daily driver or would i be better off just leaving the engine N/A?

any advice is appreciated.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boost

vtecexcivic

5+ Year Member
everyone says i'd regret installing a supercharger. there something wrong with supercharging a D-series?

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
youd regret it cuz your gonna wish you turbo'd it instead

vtecexcivic

5+ Year Member
for the price of a turbo i could just do an engine swap. i really don't plan to race much, maybe just a time or two a month.

and turbos are more trouble than they're worth. power isn't an issue since i'm gonna build the internals too.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the way you said that you made it sound like a turbo was too expensive for your budget but building your internals is gonna end up costing just as much if not more...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you have to have power to make power with a supercharger. i would say build the bottom end and boost it

guitar_adam2000

Alcohol ab-User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
superchargers are cooool though, instant power on tap! just not as much of it as with turbo's. For real driving, i.e. track driving with corners n stuff they're better. turbo's are better for drag racing and showing off imo. Plus with a turbo you've got the lag while it spools, and then you'll suffer from torque steer as soon as you go round a corner. I'd still go turbo any day though ;-)

Superchargers are also typically more reliable and easier to install.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont know much about turbos but turbo-it!!!! Any1 wanna give any pointers... go ahead.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dont know much about turbos but turbo-it!!!! Any1 wanna give any pointers... go ahead.
...?...No

Build it, Boost it.

d-series ftw