Front Defroster/Climate Issues

cp2004

So Im new to this forum but been on other forums and had a 04 silver civic ex and now how have a 93 civic sedan lx (eg).. I dont know much about AC but I noticed tonight while driving and Its cold outside and warm inside of car my front defrost isnt working at all one bit!

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix the problem because I dont wanna wreck when windows get worse! :???: Another thing is my climate control knobs are stuck and cant shift from cold to all the way warm but only close from the blue side to red!

WTF my life is hell :shock: haha

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sounds like a problem with blend doors. These are doors that regulate the temperature output of the vents as well as the direction.

If it's physically not possible to move the temperature setting knob, it might indicate that something might be jammed and is blocking the movement of it. Might be able to get to it through the cabin air filter, probably located right under the windshield wipers on the inside side of the firewall.

Really not sure how they are controlled in your particular car, but there are three ways; vacuum actuators, electric motors, cable, or any combination of the three for different blend doors. I would start by checking the cable condition, the vacuum lines going to the actuators, and of course the vacuum actuators themselves.

cp2004

Ive actually been planning on ripping out the entire interior to clean up and fix misc stuff but I noticed last time I took off the dash the control wasnt moving at all and didnt think it would bother me since I dont use it until last night. I will check everything else when I take it off when I have the time which will be awhile..

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hot to cold is controlled by a cable in the 5th gens. It is most likely that something is hanging it up. The cable connects to the controls, ,runs down behind the radio, and connects to the "flap" box under and behind the glovebox. Could be the cable getting stuck, the flap is stuck, or the slider on the controls is stuck.

cp2004

Hot to cold is controlled by a cable in the 5th gens. It is most likely that something is hanging it up. The cable connects to the controls, ,runs down behind the radio, and connects to the "flap" box under and behind the glovebox. Could be the cable getting stuck, the flap is stuck, or the slider on the controls is stuck.
I noticed that last time but didnt pay any mind to it. I will have to check out all of that but the slider isnt stuck because it moves some but not all the way and feels like something is going to snap if I keep forcing it. I guess I have another project to work on besides the engine (engine swap) and minor electrical issues.