Fuel Gauge

lenora0081

5+ Year Member
Hello. :D

I have a question. I am driving a 2000 Honda Civic LX and on Sunday, when I put $10.00 worth of gas in my car, I noticed that the fuel gauge moved all the way near the full line. It was not exactly on the full line, but it was about a half an inch from the line. That has never happened before. My car burns a lot of gas and on Monday, I drove around for over an hour and the gauge was still at that same line. Could the gauge be broken? My boyfriend changed the oxygen sensor in my car about a month ago, so I figured the gas problem was beginning to work properly, but I know nothing about cars. Could someone give me some insight on this? I have to go out of town Friday morning and I will be driving two hours to my destination and back and I am afraid that I will not know how much gas is in the car and possibly break down. I am also having a problem with the "check engine" light. It will not go off. That is the reason for the oxygen sensor change. Someone told us the light would go off and everything would be fine. Not the case. The light is still on and we don't know what to do. We can't pass inspection because of this. Can someone help me with this problem as well?

Thank you so much,
Lenora

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
your fuel gauge is fine, it'll read lower overnight. i drive for an hour sometimes on the weekends and mine doesn't really move. You should use your tripometer if you're really concenerned with how much gas you have in the tank.

lenora0081

5+ Year Member
Also, it is strange because the line was almost on empty when I filled my car. $10.00 is only two gallons of gas where I live.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
it's right next to your odometer(counts the miles your car goes through since day one)

it's the one with a button you push to reset. and it counts how many miles you drive. and can reset to 0.

people use it mostly to count how many MPG they get or how many miles per tank. civics usually get 300 -400+miles per tank(less in the city)

fill the tank till the clicker goes off and see how many miles you can get.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id say when you fill up your tank, reset your trip odometer and then once you drive 300 miles or so then its time to fill up. just to be safe.
to erase your check engine light, remove the negative battery cable and let it sit for about 5-10mins. reconnect, start it up, and your good to go.