Fuel Hungry Honda Civic VTi 2007

Yobo

Honda Civic 1.8 litre VTi seven position automatic sedan 2007
No known modifications

I've just bought a second-hand Honda Civic with a i-VTEC engine. The previous owner was a lady who played golf as I found a golf tee in the boot, er, trunk. The car has 133km on the clock and has been well maintained. (About every 5,000km). I have the service books to prove it. Anyways, I just did an economy test for 'around town' driving and it's getting 12.8 l/100km or 22mpg. The combined fuel consumption for this vehicle is 7.2 l/100km which translates to 39mpg. Being Australian, I use imperial gallons in my calculations. I think that the 'around town' figure should be about 33mpg. Now, what do I do about it, I asks myself. I thought, maybe I should give it some 'rough' treatment - take it for a thrashing on the highway for a couple of hours to burn off carbon deposits around the spark plugs and injectors. Or I could put an additive in the fuel tank and again, give it a hiding as mentioned above. Another thing that might be the problem is that the MAP and throttle body need cleaning. (Never done this before, but have seen it done on Youtube for another car I owned but never got around to doing it. I still have the unused pressure cans for that job.) And I read someplace about replacing the O2 sensor. What would you do and in what order, is my question?

Last edited:

Drakon543

totally depends on your "type" of around town driving. if its constant stop signs and red lights 22 is probably around where it should be. if its my kind of around town only a couple of lights and signs and mostly just 40mph cruising i see about 28 around town.

Yobo

totally depends on your "type" of around town driving. if its constant stop signs and red lights 22 is probably around where it should be. if its my kind of around town only a couple of lights and signs and mostly just 40mph cruising i see about 28 around town.
Toowoomba city (elevation 2200ft above sea level) is a dish shaped valley stretching some 10 km across, is where I drive the car in 'around town' mode. The speed limit is 60kph or 37mph on connecting roads so I usually get a clear run, but on average I'll be stopped at lights once or twice on a 6-8km trip. I'm aiming during the economy test to drive the car like a 'little old lady' would drive it, but at 60kph instead of 40 or 50kph.

Yobo

Does the CEL work?

When we’re the spark plugs last replaced?
Yes, the Check Engine Light (CEL) does work. When I bought the car a few days ago, as I was driving out of the car yard the engine refused to accelerate past idle. The CEL was on. It turned out that the chap had cleaned the engine with a high pressure water cleaner (Gerni) that morning and that some moisture had penetrated a connection under the bonnet, er, hood. The CEL was cleared and I was a 'happy little vegimite' once again.

Yobo

Buy the plugs recommended in the owner’s manual. They are generally NGK brand.
In Australia the cheapest price for a set of four genuine NGK IZFR6K-11S spark plugs at the major spare parts outlets is AU$117.12. If I buy the 'same' 'genuine' spark plugs on Ebay the price is AU$24.76. What would you do?

Yobo

In Australia the cheapest price for a set of four genuine NGK IZFR6K-11S spark plugs at the major spare parts outlets is AU$117.12. If I buy the 'same' 'genuine' spark plugs on Ebay the price is AU$24.76. What would you do?
I bought the spark plugs at the Australian spare parts outlet. By the time the chinese plugs get here I'd probably spend the difference in fuel that I could have saved by fitting the spark plugs early. And are those chinese plugs genuine. I've had trouble with chinese quality on Ebay before. Not born yesterday.

Yobo

0.041", 0.042", 0.040", 0.040"

What is the correct gap?

The part number on the packet is NGK 5266 and according to the link below the gap is preset:

http://www.caarparts.co.uk/service-parts/Spark-Plugs-Petrol/honda/civic/all/1.8/2006/Parts.aspx
I'm thinking that if the correct gap is 0.044" and the gap on the spark plugs I pulled out of the engine are around 0.040", maybe these plugs are the chinese imitations, because the genuine plugs would have been preset to 0.044", which might explain the fuel guzzling.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Plugs have to be gapped prior to install, never trust a boxed plug.

Sent from my boujea ass phone