future boosted 99ex sedan with A/C

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have no doubts that this motor will last me a long time, unless I push for to much power and throw a rod or something. I boosted my y5 and I has like 160xxx when I boosted it, it lasted till 210xxx when my car was rearended and I took all parts off and gave it to insurance

si_gn

Thats great that you already boost a single cam before... this is pretty much a flawless install now. I will be keeping an eye on this thread, please keep the updates coming!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not many more updates besides like getting my exhaust and a new tune. I will keep updated though when I do some more stuff, my boosted hx is in my signature below my post

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks like i either had some head lift or my head gasket just decided to give out, my car was at about 3/4 on the heat gauge idling but would go down as soon as i start moving. i checked and the overflow was full and not getting sucked back in and i also noticed bubbling so i have a few problems, i ordered a new head gasket, arp head studs,thermostat and radiator cap so i will replace the little stuff first and check it

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its going to suck if i have to remove the turbo crap to pull the head, this will only be my second headgasket job in my life though lol, i feel pretty confident.

got my foglights installed finally, stupid ebay foglights gave me such a hard time, the part that said top had to be on the bottom so the foglights were on the wrong sides at first with no way to screw the cover on.

hydrographic carbon dip

trying my wheels on my buddies car, he bought his car with super wide stanced wheels on it and wants to get rid of them

trying his wheels on my car

Last edited:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didnt dip them but yes it is bad ass, i would love to get some cf dip and do my window switched and door handle covers

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
got the head gasket changed, thermostat changed, arp head studs installed and torqued to 60 ft lbs in 4 steps 25/35/48/60

im thinking this might be why i started overheating randomly

all finished up and back together, everything seems good. i had to redo my oil feed at the back of the block because it randomly started leaking after i put the head back on.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i pulled the head again, i think i need to resurface the block what do you guys think? it looks like the oil leak was the small oil feed hole right above the oil filter next to stud between #2 and #3 cylinder. i can see a little black spot on the block next to #1 cylinder on the intake side, i think it is a low spot in the block which sucks. looks like my car will be down for a while..... if i pull the block to resurface it im tempted to buy another rebuild block and just drop it in but then i might as well spend money and buy an aftermarket clutch while im at it.

cuetip

Registered VIP
Aw man should buy your buddies rims, you do what u want man, if you see something wrong with the block and it looks bad then I would source another block and yeah while you are at it buy an aftermarket clutch do a stage 4 clutch haha

cuetip

Registered VIP
Very nice, I was planning on taking my head to a machine shop and have them do a valve job and fix it since it was warped, but the mechanic I had fix my car he said it would be about 500 to re do the head, I was like um no haha and basically laughed

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well thats just for a surface, if your looking at new valves, guides, and valve stem seals plus labor i can see it costing that much. i just hope i can get it back together and running from here, this is my first time dissecting a head

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
got my head resurfaced, now im just waiting on my keeper removal/installer tool and my new headgasket from a honda dealer on ebay. also i think im going to plug my air injection on my manifold so i can use my golden eagle thermal intake gasket, oh and cant forget im waiting on straight edges from Greece to check my blocks flatness

Last edited:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
He said he took off "about" .006, I took it to the only place here in this little town and he deals with airplane engines normally, It cost 60$.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ya I told him just take off as little as possible just to flatten it, I think my problem was slightly warped head+slight warped block. Oh and i think I caused all this work for myself, forgot to put 91 when I put my turbo back on so im pretty sure I got head lift

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ya I told him just take off as little as possible just to flatten it, I think my problem was slightly warped head+slight warped block. Oh and i think I caused all this work for myself, forgot to put 91 when I put my turbo back on so im pretty sure I got head lift
Running lower grade fuel won't cause head lift. It will cause detonation at lower heat, which will cause you to run rich or lean, or could cause turbo detonation. Head warping is usually from running high boost/having a bad head gasket/overheating.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
From what I have read detonation can cause head lift, im assuming I had head lift because the gasket wasnt "blown" but it was leaking compression into the coolant, after that started yes I did get the car hot but not to bad since it wasnt above the H on the gauge . Also it only overheated at idle for about 1 minute before I noticed and as soon as I started moving it instantly dropped to the normal range on the gauge