GarageBuilt quest to build a PFWD EF! (56k go nap)

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Congrats! Can't wait to see it when the next issue comes through.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JDMpower5950

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well....I almost cried the other night when I realized how hard I was f**ked by machine shops. Ill put the rundown here...

We broke it in, I changed the oil and started it up just to warm it up and hear it...I am out walking around the engine making sure we dont have any leaks, and just listing to her pur. Well I noticed something was not right, I put my hand over each horn and when I got to cyl #3 it didnt have any vacuum so I was like wtf. Cyl #4 felt weak too but still had suction. I took a paper towel and put it under each horn 1,2, &4 tried to suck it in...number 3 on the other hand blew it out. hmmm so I cut it off, pull the plugs and started the compression check.

This car is around 12-12.2:1 so it should be 210+ across the board. cyl 1 = 166, cyl 2 = 155, cyl 3 = 132, cyl 4 = 146. Right then I knew the machine shop had to have f**ked something up. We dropped a camera down the spark plug hole and could see that a valve in cyl 3 was not closing all the way. So we pulled the head, and confirmed our suspicion. Another reason why I thought the rings/block was not right cause after changing my oil and running it for 10-15min when I went to drain the oil to pull the rods/pistons it smelt like straight E85.

Well I was super upset and said f**k it n drove home n went to bed. The next day I decided to go pick up my car and bring it home. Once I got it home it was bugging me so I jacked it up, dropped the pan, and pulled the pistons. Every cyl has scaring on it. Some is smooth but on cyl 3,4 a few catches my fingernail. Also to top it all off it appears at the bottom of cylinder 3 theres a hairline fracture at the bottom of the sleeve. So here I am..on the grind trying to build another motor.

2 years of hard work, dedication, sacrifice, hardships and blood sweat n tears down the drain because I outsourced on the things I didnt know how to do and they f**ked me. All good tho, its time to really go for this world record now. Stay tuned guys

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Uncool, bro. Uncool. I really hope those shops guarantee their work. That's typically the #1 reason I take important stuff to the pros. Screwing it up yourself is one thing. Paying someone should get you a guarantee on the labor, at the very least.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow that really sucks man...

I'm glad to see that you aren't giving up though

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Wow sorry to hear that I would be pissed as well. I work at a general maintenance shop that subs out our machine work. We recently switched to a new shop to sub stuff out to becuase we started to realize the quality control of the first one was starting to really suck, and we had tons of come-back jobs.

It's worse when its your own car. My b16 was rebuilt by first shop and I have had to replace almost every seal again. I'm almost afraid to look at the internals.