going vtec...

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also may i add that before you do any serious upgrades on your engine (i.e. a swap), you may wanna check the local laws in regards to this.

i would agree on what The Civic is suggesting, it is cost effective. but due to certain laws here in cali, like for me, i own a 99 and i won't be able to swap the SOHC B16 into mine cause the motor is older than the car. here in cali, it is the law that if you are to swap engines on your car, it has to be the same year or newer.

i know, i know. it sucks

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yep it's the same here in Wisconsin Myogi_Nightkid. In order to legally swap a motor into your car the engine must be the same year or newer than the body. Also all of the electronics must match up. So if you have a 96-00 Civic & want to turn it into an OBD1 system it's not going to fly with the officials. The only way to get around these rules is with the different generations of motors. For example the B18C1 GSR motor was made for the entire production of the most recent Integra body style. If you put a 96 B18C1 into a 99 Civic you can get away with it only due to the fact that the motor could have been made after the Civic and the electronics will match up as far as the on board diagnostic system is concerned. The only thing you have to watch out for in that situation is if the inspector knows how to or has a computer that can read the VIN plate on the motor for the production info.

Don't worry about it M706. I put that up for everyone to see & use. When it comes down to setting your budget for your Honda you've got to look at everything right away, that's the main thing I was trying to get across. Otherwise you'll spend money on parts that you may not need later if you're going to swap. Actually buying a 99-00 SI is probably one of the safer routes you can go too. That way you can be sure that you're starting with a motor that's got more potential & a little bit more durability than the d series you've got. Also there won't be ANY headaches associated with doing a swap or adding major power adders to the single cam. Good luck with whatever you get or do though =)

Till L8er,
Ken

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeh thanx for the info The Civic. greatly apprectiated. :D

and thanx RedSunsEK. i like the idea of the "underdog", like u said. and that may be how i stay for a long time.. at least til the car is paid off u know? but yeh, i am gonna do the bolt ons first (i/h/e). i can already feel a tiny bit more power after adding this new exhaust. i can't WAIT to feel what it's like with an intake/header.. i need those SOON! :twisted:

99ExCoupe

Volvo > Civic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go AEM...they look really good...sound really good...and I noticed a good increase....www.afsmotorsports.com has them for like 175 I think...which is good...they are really cool guys...I knew them when I lived in Indiana!

Myogi_Nightkid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go with either the ARC air box or the J's Racing CF intake! they look better plus you'll have a JDM aftermarket performance part under your hood!:thumbs up:

but that's just me.

Civicboy98

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what difference will an auto tranny make in this swap, besides different ECU and the tranny controller?