Got a 2000 EX civic on friday! i "was" a nissan ma

Nexus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I need info plz =) i know there are more aftermarket parts on a civic than parts in a whole Nissan car! including the bolts!...anyways i do have a stock EX and i'm loooking for some advice to mod it up w/o voiding the warrenty =) so far i know i can do this

Exaust
cams
Polish headers
msd (Mabey)

My 1st question would be what is the best type of exaust system for my car

2nd can i get some webpages for parts to look at for my year civic :D

Thx for all the help in advance...i'm am now offically a HONDA and not a NISSAN MAN!

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. what are kind of sound are you looking for. there are a lot of good exhausts out there, and youll get plenty of suggestions here, but they all give different sounds. and are you looking for cat back? or just the muffler?

2. optionsauto.com, hondatuning.com (i have an issue that had 40 items for the d16y8. i dont know if its on the webpage though)

hope that helped a bit

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: Got a 2000 EX civic on friday! i "was" a nissa

Forget the engine, get the rice :smileyR: heheheh
:nod:

Nexus

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

well i live in florida and they are pretty anal about noise polution so something that is Very good but not WAY to loud..if that exsist =) i'm just trying to get into the low 15's high 14's with my car because i dont want to void my power train warrenty :( someone told me if i drop a turbo i viod it :(

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Well at least your a honda owner now :nod:

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need a turbo to hit 15's. sure you have sohc, but its all good, find out what your car is hitting now, go to the track and baseline that mofo...then figure out how much work will have to be done

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you all seemed to have missed this, so im going to say it: pretty much any modification you make to your car will void the warranty. go and read the paperwork, it says that in there............

and there is only one HEADER in a civic

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
gosh...you technical guys seem to get more and more mad every time someone doesnt know as much as you

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually, everytime one of us technical guys tries to share information or teach someone something, people who know less than us get all defensive and moody and make us look like we're trying to castrate everybody

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

No not everyone get moody, i like when you guys answer the questions, if someone knew the answer they wouldnt ask right? :nod:

TwoString2001

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
People seem to be forgetting the subject here. What mods can you apply to your car...

Warranty aside, there are several things you can do that don't involve the overrated and overdone engine swap or turbo install. Start with the basics...

A good exhaust system - if noise pollution is a real problem, then go with something like the Apex'i World Sport system. While it doesn't give you massive gains, it would be a good start.

Intake - Again, it's not going to suddenly mutate your car into a beast, but you're going to need good air flow on both sides of the engine before you dig in anywhere else.

Chip - A simple addition that can go a long way. I have yet to do this myself, but I have yet to hear badly about it.

Electronics - Give your car a better power system. Stronger wiring, better grounding and a better alternator will help out in the long run, and it makes sense if your engine has a mid to high powered stereo to contend with. Upgrade the ignition, plugs, wiring and anything else that aids the spark.

Suspension/Chassis - The engine can only do so much. You need to be able to get whatever power you have to the ground in the best way possible. A good set of coilovers is a good addition, as well as anti-roll bars, better control arms and anything else that stiffens the chassis and keeps the wheels in contact with the ground.

Drivetrain - This depends on what you have. If you have a 5 speed, a flywheel, new clutch and short shifter would be great improvements. If you're going with an auto, re-valving the torque converter, or just swapping out for a better after market one, is the way to go. The torque converter hogs sooooo much power and keeps the engine and wheels from fully connecting to each other. As with a manual, the lighter the rotating mass, the better.

Tires/Wheels - You don't need slicks or anything like that. A good tire like the yokohama perada is great for daily driven speeders. A lightweight wheel is also the way to go. And please...please please please let's not have anymore civics with twenty inch "bling blings."

Engine Internals - This is where you begin diving into the deep end of the pool. Stronger rods aren't really necessary. Higher compression pistons are great, and the forged type are even better...they resist expansion under high-heat conditions so your piston clearances can be tighter. Engine coatings help out a lot. They don't really give you and power gains, but the engine will run better, and efficiency = power in my book. A good head port will get you a little more. All of these are great mods if you plan on throwing a turbo in later on, but if you do, keep in mind that you'll need to take out those high compression pistons...bad things can happen.

Weight - lighten the car...kick your friends out :P I'd drop everything in the trunk (spare tire, jack, etc); only you don't want to throw your car off balance. Ditch the heavy amps and subs and anything else you've got in the car that you don't need.

Fuel - User higher octane fuels, and try to match the fuel consumption to the amount of air that's actually getting into the combustion chamber. Too much fuel and the engine will bog. Not enough fuel and you'll end up with some mild detonation problems. A new fuel pump, filter, rail and injectors are great additions here. Fuel management isn't necessary, but is great help during the tuning stage.

Electronics - Not much to add here. Maybe the fuel management mentioned above, and if you've got VTEC, take advantage of it!! A VTEC controller mixed with some of these mods coupled with a really good fuel controller is almost like having a turbo without the added engine wear.

Aerodynamics - Please don't throw one of those gigantic aluminum wings on your car...at the end of the day, it's a civic, and unless you're running in the ITC, it's pointless. The stock civic wing will do a good enough job. A front lip spoiler or wind splitter is a good idea, and anything that keeps air from getting under the car is good too. Right now, my friends and I are working on an air diffuser for use under the car. Nothing complicated, just something to ease out the turbulence under the car at speed.

The D16 may not be the cream of the crop, but it ain't that bad either. While we all dream of H22's and B20's, I take more pride in having a strong overall engine than a struggling beast that's too powerful for it's own good. No dis to anyone else out there...I happen to love forced induction civics that eat supras and vettes for breakfast...but having a strong car that retains it's stock appearance is often more fun than a car that flaunts everything and then gets beat by the mini-van wearing two donuts on the front. <purges NOS system, revs and let's the blow off valve whistle...drops the hammer and breaks an axle...no fun at all> Talk back and list any other good mods you can think of.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TwoString2001 :

1st :welcome: to the site man...

2nd this thread is soo focking old... lol

TwoString2001

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the welcome...

I saw how old the post was, but I still responded...

sad, ain't it? hehehe :P

x0supermonkey0x

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first of all.... TwoString2001 is a smart ass mofo who actually wrota all that stuff.... and secondly... hes right... about most of that stuff.... so :welcome: to twostring2001 ....

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by TwoString2001
Thanks for the welcome...

I saw how old the post was, but I still responded...

sad, ain't it? hehehe :P

oh, hahah well in that case, koo just making sure you knew...

good reply then...

any pix of j00r ride and what u drive n s**t? :pimp:

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man, you did electronics twice..............

motor swaps and turbos are not overrated..... they do exactly what they are intended to do, which is make big power. all of those mods you listed, while useful, are cost ineffective where there is a cost. if there is no cost then you're not going to be making any serious power in the first place.....

TwoString2001

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sadly, no pics yet. I'm still in the planning stages of my car. I'm working on all the research and getting the funds together...it's the research part that takes so long. There's sooo much out there for civics, and my notebooks are getting full :D I'm only set on a few things, but the rest will come together soon I hope. Right now, it's stock wheels and bald tires for me :( and that's about it.

TwoString2001

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ha! Electronics twice...good eye dude

I'm not denouncing engine swaps or turbos, I just like having confidence in my engine. And for me to have confidence in my engine, I have to know about everything in that engine from the block all the way down to the oil drain plug. It's just my stupid OCD. I've seriously looked into the B20 and H22, and I've driven several civics with B series motors in them, but my engineering and R&D experience push me to explore the D16 a little more. Again, nothing against turbos or engine swaps...much love for all things honda.

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did a good job with the article with good points on how to not rice the hell out of your car =)