Grinding noise / vibration from front wheel?

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
I have a 2002 Civic EX 5 speed. the noise started suddenly. it was quiet and smooth when I parked. 2 hours later I started driving and the noise started at about 30 mph. pitch goes up/down with speed. No relation to engine revs. I would think wheel bearing but I replaced it 1-2 yrs ago.

Could it be the half shaft? I'm pretty sure the boot is torn.
Thanks for any help.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Does it click during turning? That is a classic sign of worn/damaged CV axle.

Otherwise you can put the car up on a jackstands and test the wheel bearing by grabbing the 12 and 6 clock position the wheel and attempt to force it in and out from the edge. If you have more than 1/8" of movement then its generally requires replacement of the wheel bearing. This value can be greater for very oversized wheels.

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
There is no clicking, only the speed related grinding. no real difference if I swerve left/right or in turns. I will be getting up on stands to check for play. It is possible the noise is coming from the other side than the changed bearings. I'm just puzzled by the sudden onset but I guess anything is possible.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like a wheel bearing for sure. Let us know and post a video if you need more help.

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
Well I checked both and the right has some play, so it's the bearing. It is the same one I changed about 2 yrs ago. Go figure. Crappy aftermarket bearings?? At least it's the same side as the bad half shaft so that will cut down on the work.

Thanks for chiming in.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ya man, Im back on the forum for as long as they let me HA. While the forum era may have ended I think its actually coming back around. The Honda game is lit again with the AWD phase bringing OLD honda tech back to the market again. B series and D series engines.

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
So what is a good brand bearing. The one I used last time was SKF. I thought it would last but only got about 15k miles before it died. Or could I have done something wrong?
P.S. Why does power steering fluid leak out when I jack the front end up??

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Bearings are bearings for the most part. I've used them all its its all about installation. Ensure you the bearing pressed in the first time correctly. Otherwise you usually end up having to disassemble the bearing again to prepress it back together. This usually leaves a gap in the bearing over over compression.
As far as the leak, follow the leak as high as up as you can locate. Most likely a dry rotting line or loose clamp on the return low pressure line.

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
I'll be changing the cv shaft while I'm there but I can't get any agreement on how many splines there are, inboard or out. Some suppliers say 26/25 and some say 34/33. Web search is like a maze.

Is there a spec chart on this forum?

Bob L.

5+ Year Member
My problem is the spline count listed as correct from one supplies doesn't agree with other suppliers, or sometimes on the same site, so I don't know who to trust. I would like to know the correct count so I can make sure I order the right one.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Use the link I sent above and order online the side you need.

I simply do not recall there being different splines and the spline counts you gave seem to match the lengths so are you not mistaking length for spline count.
There was no Si that year so no larger axle that I know of for 2002.