gsr cluster yay

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok right now i'm about 1/3 of the way through with installing the gsr cluster and boy i can't wait to see it up and running....i'lll take a few pics for shits n giggles. i already have before pics..i'll take some during...

btw: so far i've been doing this rather methodically...striped all wires, twisted corresponding wires, double checked, then soldered...and so far my soldering hasn't been too good...not to mention this is my first time soldering....i'm still proud. i'd give my self a 6/10 especially since i didn't do any practice soldering lolz!!!

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did it not to long ago and it really does look great.. i just did a shitty job cuttin out the cover..

be4 the install it was kinda hard to use the stock cluster at night, with the GSR cluster i have to actually turn it down a bit.. Good luck and if you run into any problems feel free to ask for some help

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actually yes..i'm actually thinking in advance and i was wondering where exactly do i fasten it with screws/zipties or w/e...speaking of which i hope we have some...if not i'll solder the cluster to the car ROFL!

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All I had to do is repin all the blue clip wires...no soldering.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i choose to solder because i was clueless on the repinning and i wanted to learn....

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k i'm having a hard time getting the bezel in....i just broke piece of it...by forcing it in...it seeems like the top part of the gauge cluster is like sticking out toof ar....and this is pissin me off...

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i too of thec lear plastic piece..and it seems to fit...just big ugly gaps in the bottom right and bottom left corners....

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i finished...right now i'm eating and waiting for nite time so i can get nighttime pics... but for now heres what i have.

Before:

(with the lights on)

The original

the replacement

the process

the workplace

the completion

the lifesaver

:P
the end

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
works like a charm....just the seatbelt thing doesn't work...-.-...but no worries...when i take it out to convert the lights to red leds same for the rest of my dash, and i'm gonna solder the wires for my headunit just cuz i can. took me about 2 1/2 hrs.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
b16bang said:
works like a charm....just the seatbelt thing doesn't work...-.-...but no worries...when i take it out to convert the lights to red leds same for the rest of my dash, and i'm gonna solder the wires for my headunit just cuz i can. took me about 2 1/2 hrs.

hey man i'm just wondering but did you use the gsr cluster gauge harness and soldered it to the stock harness from the civic. cause i'm planning on doing this also. :twisted:

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
b16bang said:

the completion
that looks f*cking awesome man. it think it almost looks better than a gsr cluster in a 6th gen. :thumbs up

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks GREAT!! i didnt subscribe last time thats what took me so long to reply

mine is just sittin there freely, i didnt cut much of the cover so its a tight fit and it dont move for s**t..

BTW if yours is still sticking out you have to cut this piece off if you didnt

i didnt solder mine becuz i suck at it i used some crimps? or whatever there called

Here are 2 printable versions, Very helpful too

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i soldered mine, and umm....i didn't really 'cut' it off...unless you wanna call bending it until it breaks 'cutting'.... What i did was cut the plugs coming from the car going to the stock cluster, and then wired it to the plugs from the gsr cluster. I don't believe the plugs from the civic cluster will fit. Umm.....thanks for the compliments guys..well, i might be ripping it back out and converting the lights on the inside to Red LEDS baby...yeppers.., but then again i might get lazy and lose motivation and not do it. I mean...if enough people wanted a "How-To" or "DIY" then i guess i'd do it, but until then its not too high on the list. The supposed "write-up" on the GSR cluster swap thread doesn't really have any instructions..or at least i ddin't see any. I just looked at the pics and figured it out...thanks again guys. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i did the same but it still needed to be cut down..

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
b16bang said:
yea i soldered mine, and umm....i didn't really 'cut' it off...unless you wanna call bending it until it breaks 'cutting'.... What i did was cut the plugs coming from the car going to the stock cluster, and then wired it to the plugs from the gsr cluster. I don't believe the plugs from the civic cluster will fit. Umm.....thanks for the compliments guys..well, i might be ripping it back out and converting the lights on the inside to Red LEDS baby...yeppers.., but then again i might get lazy and lose motivation and not do it. I mean...if enough people wanted a "How-To" or "DIY" then i guess i'd do it, but until then its not too high on the list. The supposed "write-up" on the GSR cluster swap thread doesn't really have any instructions..or at least i ddin't see any. I just looked at the pics and figured it out...thanks again guys. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

hey man great DIY article, i have a question though i'm swapping a gsr engine to my 92 hatchback and i'm buying a gsr cluster gauge with the harness will that work on my civic.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it'll work, but you'll still be soldering/crimping. The engine doesn't effect too many wires behind the dash...be sure to get the ECU so you redline at 8100 like the tach says. I'd also say hit'up the link at the bottom of my post. good conversion, i'm planning on doing it when i muster up the er..motivation.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=661308&page=1

PEPE LE PU

mods yea i got some
5+ Year Member
wow that looks good !! i like the newer look anybody wanna help me do mine LOL :roll: