GSR or Type-R what is better for turbo?

sphinxof2006

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was readin these forms about these turboed gsr and type-R's and i see that people say the type R is bad for turbo because of high compression and then other times i see that the type-R is a good choice for a turbo, im not the sharpest pencil in the box, but this is confusing. i wanted to get the Type-R swap in my 93 dx but then i see all this talk of a GSR turbo is better, which one would be good to turbo for the long run? thanx guys

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sphinxof2006 said:
I was readin these forms about these turboed gsr and type-R's and i see that people say the type R is bad for turbo because of high compression and then other times i see that the type-R is a good choice for a turbo, im not the sharpest pencil in the box, but this is confusing. i wanted to get the Type-R swap in my 93 dx but then i see all this talk of a GSR turbo is better, which one would be good to turbo for the long run? thanx guys
gsr turbo is better if you intend to up the boost more than the factory set from which ever you get (i.e greddy) but if you just intend to get the type r and boost and leave it around 6-7ps (which would be insane) then get the type r

sphinxof2006

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the Type-R can only handle 7-8 psi of boost, and be safe there wihtout making changes to anything, all stock internals? Then GSR is able to handle the same boost or more with stock internals? like what is the most i can get if boosted max with stock everythind on the gsr and type-r wihtout making it blow up? sry so many questions :[

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Really you shouldnt boost a GSR past 7-8 psi on stock internals either. If your set on the GSR or Type R, I'd go GSR simply because of the price difference to get it up and running, as well as the fact that if you blow a Type R motor, there goes another 4500 or so to replace it as opposed to around 3 grand for a GSR

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's going to be more difficult to tune the Type R (higher compression, valve overlap) and it's more expensive when you screw up. So why not start with a B18B1?

With the JRSC the GS-R makes more peak hp than the Type R :what:
(222 to 215)