gsr ?

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 94 gsr in my 94 hatch i read that the v tec point is at 4400 rpm but when i race my car it seems to kick in at 4000 to 4100 and my redline is about at 7600 to 7700. but when i raced a hatch like mine with a gsr i beat him by a car and a half. could my tach be wrong?

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5th gen hatch said:
i have a 94 gsr in my 94 hatch i read that the v tec point is at 4400 rpm but when i race my car it seems to kick in at 4000 to 4100 and my redline is about at 7600 to 7700. but when i raced a hatch like mine with a gsr i beat him by a car and a half. could my tach be wrong?
aftermarket tach or cluster tach? if its aftermarket id get rid of the POS and buy an EX/SI cluster with a tach in it, more times than not they are more accurate anyways

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
5th gen hatch said:

On a B18C, if you are using the GSR manifold, your IAB (secondaries) kick at about 4200-4400. That is not your VTEC. VTEC kicks at 5700. Your redline is 8000.

This of course is if you are using a P72.

**edit: corrected VTEC engagement.

5th gen hatch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a si gauge cluster and i checked it to day i can't get past 7500

99siTUNER

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea I would check your ECU then, that might be your problem. post back which code ecu it is.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
weksos said:
On a B18C, if you are using the GSR manifold, your IAB (secondaries) kick at about 4200-4400. That is not your VTEC. VTEC kicks at 5200. Your redline is 8000.

This of course is if you are using a P72.
my vtec is 4400 and secondaries open at 5700

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
stealthy said:
my vtec is 4400 and secondaries open at 5700

Not sure if that is correct or not, but that would mean your VTEC is working backwards ;)

At 0-4300 RPM's your long runners are used along with the low cam profile.

At 4400-5600 RPM, your long runners are still used (IAB butterflies kept closed) while using the high cam profile. Many people mistaken this for VTEC b/c of the noise and power change. You are not in VTEC yet.

At 5700+ RPM, your short runners are used (IAB butterflies open) along with the high cam profile. At this point, you are in VTEC.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtec light going in tomorrow, i guess ill know precisely tomorrow. im running stock i/h/e so its tought to hear, but there is a very noticable difference in sound at 5700 rpms

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thexperiment said:
the gsr hatchback i was going to buy redlined at 9k easily, no lies.

possible, but not recommended. unless the head is built, prepare for some bent valves....easily.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn.....i wanna get a gsr'd coupe that reds at 9k...easily/safely.....OR stumble onto an rx-7 and somehow buy it and have a rotary project car.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
arent 5th gen clusters known for being off? i know my fuel and tach is off but my speed and temp. are right on. when i was going to adjust my throttle my mechanic told me to use an external tach and i was like wtf no and i adjusted it to 750 then when we hooked up the external tach i read 1200. 28 years experience>me

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
slowhatch said:
arent 5th gen clusters known for being off? i know my fuel and tach is off but my speed and temp. are right on. when i was going to adjust my throttle my mechanic told me to use an external tach and i was like wtf no and i adjusted it to 750 then when we hooked up the external tach i read 1200. 28 years experience>me

you get a more accurate reading by tapping into the distributor tach wire lead outside in the engine bay. the cluster will be a little off.

b16bang

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats good and bad..

good: you found out whats not working
bad: its not working and u have to fix it.

JaydemDorifto

It's Shocking.
5+ Year Member
weksos said:
Not sure if that is correct or not, but that would mean your VTEC is working backwards ;)

At 0-4300 RPM's your long runners are used along with the low cam profile.

At 4400-5600 RPM, your long runners are still used (IAB butterflies kept closed) while using the high cam profile. Many people mistaken this for VTEC b/c of the noise and power change. You are not in VTEC yet.

At 5700+ RPM, your short runners are used (IAB butterflies open) along with the high cam profile. At this point, you are in VTEC.
Stage 1 (0-4400 RPM): Low-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 2 (4400-5800 RPM): High-lift cam lobe and long intake runners.

Stage 3 (5800+ RPM): High-lift cam lobe and short intake runners.

high lift cam is the vtec point, the secondaries are in the manifold and not in the head, seeing as vtec occurs depending on the head and not IM, vtec comes in at 4400

Also Gs-R's redline at 8100 there just is no spot for 100 incriments on the Gs-R gauge clusters so it looks like 8000 :]

SI-vic lover

5+ Year Member
vtec shouldnt kick in till aroung 4.5k or so in a b18c.....just run a vtec light and you'll be set........but with an intake you should hear it, specially on a dohc