Gutted cat? will it pass emmissions??

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What does a gutted cat look like? and will it pass emmissions? I sold my cousin my stock '00Si exhaust and now my cousin is trying to pass emmissions and he said i had a gutted cat? that it wont pass emmissions without it? Does anyone have any info on this or know what it looks like, what a gutted cat actually does, and will it pass emmissions like that? Thats how i bought it from the dealer and i always passed emmissions just fine until now. Thanks in advance!

91civicfreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hove no clue honestly, but i wanna say if it looks like a stock cat it should be ok. it is not like they are going to pull it off and make sure there is stuff in it. i will say again that i have no idea, just my .02

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for your input bro, all opinions help. What is a gutted cat even look like? lol

BMac00EX

5+ Year Member
its a stock cat that has been hollowed out. you wouldnt be able to tell if it was gutted cuz it still looks the same from the outside... i think when they hook the computer up they will be able to tell

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a gutted cat is essentially just taking a broom stick, metal pipe, or whatever weapon of choice and smashing it through the cat to break up all its components and push them out. This makes the cat hollow aka gutted.

It's a 50/50 shot on passing. They only do visual inspection for a cat (just look to see and make sure you have one). if the motor's healthy, it may just barely pass. If the motor is not healthy then i'd say it's a long shot.

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i see....cuz when it was on my car, it was slammed so theres a dent in the cat. Maybe thats what broke it up inside?

jdmek9imagex

5+ Year Member
WHere you from? some states run the car to check for carbon dioxide from the muffler, if your cat is gutted then your f**k and have to get a new cat. and some states like illinois checks for code only, as long has your not shooting any cel then your good. Do you have any cel codes?

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didnt have any CEL's on but when he put the exhaust on he had a CEL for a day or two then it went away? i wonder if it'll pass...lol

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Only one way to find out i guess.

Just take it and test it, if it passes it passes. If it fails you have 30 days to redo the test without them re-charging you.