handmade shifter nob

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
so im making a shifter nob out of aluminum on a laithe and i was thinking about etching in the gear numbers on top and painting them with glow in the dark paint(if i can find any), you guys have any ideas on this? i want to make the numbers glow somehow, and i've thought about putting a small red light inside the nob but thats just gonna be a p.i.t.a.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ehh lit up shifter nobs are kinda ricey. glow in the dark you might be able to pull off but it depends on the color

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
There's a thread on how to make colored lettering. What they did was melt a crayon in the etchings. Someone in the thread did a glow in the dark finish. I think they used model paint, but I'm not sure. Anyways he explains how he did it in the thread.

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
if its possible to get red glow in the dark that would match my dash and stereo lights, but i'll deffinitely check out that thread

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's a thread on how to make colored lettering. What they did was melt a crayon in the etchings. Someone in the thread did a glow in the dark finish. I think they used model paint, but I'm not sure. Anyways he explains how he did it in the thread.
Don't do this if you park your car in direct sun light all the time cause the crayon will come off on your hand while driving to lunch break... lol
if its possible to get red glow in the dark that would match my dash and stereo lights, but i'll deffinitely check out that thread
try finger nail polish lol. beings as its almost halloween you could probably find some at a costume shop lol

20civiclx02

20civiclx02
Don't do this if you park your car in direct sun light all the time cause the crayon will come off on your hand while driving to lunch break... lol

Quote:
lol true that. probly not the best solution for long term use.

i'll look around and see what i find.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm still new to any kind of forums, and this is off-topic but how do you properly quote? lol
Look at the bottom right hand corner of someones post. there you will see 3 little icons. the first one is grey and says "quote", the second one is blue and white, this is the multi quote button so you can quote multiple people at once. The third one is the quick reply icon, I have yet to use that one lol

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i'm still new to any kind of forums, and this is off-topic but how do you properly quote? lol
If you hit the little "quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of the post you are quoting it will take you to another screen and just don't type inside the space with the brakets [ ].

You can also use the blue button with the big " to quote multiple people all in one post.